Baby, it’s cold outside! There is something about the cold weather that makes me want to stick to home and indulge in anything and everything that screams comfort. Lattes, soups – you name it – I want it… All of it!
With the majority of my family currently run down with some sort of chest or head cold, I have made it my personal mission to make all the soups. Because – I mean – who doesn’t love a bowl of homemade soup? Homemade soup is like a comforting hug in a bowl. At least I like to think so.
Quite often when I make soup, I won’t always keep to the same recipe. This more so can be said when it comes to chicken soup. I have many recipes for different variations of chicken soup, but not one are alike. I love that freedom of being able to switch up ingredients and spices based on mood and what the family is craving. This is where the versatility in making soup comes in so handy.
This week my Comforting Chicken and Rice Soup was what made my family tick. It’s flavourful, soothing and so easy to make. The ultimate soup to enjoy on a cold winter’s night, when battling a cold or just because.
Comforting Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe
- 2 (900ml) boxes of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (132g) cup Knorr Homestyle Chicken Stock
- 3 cups hot water
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1/4 margarine, melted
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 1.5 – 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup whole grain brown rice, uncooked
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp sage
- Melt margarine in a large soup pot over medium-low heat. Once melted add chopped veggies (except the potatoes), garlic and all of the spices, except the bay leaves, to the pot. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until veggies become fragrant and start to soften.
- Pour in water, broth and homestyle chicken stock. Stir until well blended.
- Add bay leaves, potatoes, and chicken to the pot. Stir and cover. Bring pot to a slow simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the whole grain brown rice stir, cover and continue to cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until rice is cooked through.
- Serve with salad and/or fresh homemade bread.