Cheese is one of my guilty pleasures. I absolutely love it and would happily indulge in it many times a day if I could. The reality though is that my gut is not a fan.
Thankfully I have found a great substitute which helps me fill my void of all things cheesiness — Nutritional Yeast!
Nutritional yeast is a complex protein that tastes nutty and cheesy, and is packed full of B12. The best part? It makes a really great “cheese” sauce.
As a huge mac and cheese lover, I have taken to enjoying Vegan Mac and Cheese whenever the mood strikes. Pair the amazingly creamy vegan cheese sauce with chickpea pasta, and you have a dish that is beyond satisfying. Comfort in a bowl — that’s what this meal is!
Creamy Vegan Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked chickpea pasta (you can do 2.5 or 3 cups if you are not a fan of creamy Mac and cheese)
- 1 cup unsweetened original cashew milk
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 16-20 baby carrots
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Toss carrots and potatoes in 1.5 tbsp avocado oil. Transfer vegetables to foil lined pan. Roast for 45 minutes. Flipping at the half way point.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and cook pasta according to directions.
- While the pasta is cooking. Use a high speed blender to process cashew milk, onion, potatoes and carrots. Once those ingredients are smooth, add remaining spices nutritional yeast and cashews and process until mixture is smooth.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain. Transfer noodles back to pot and stir in the vegan cheese sauce. Bon appetite!
** This recipe has been adapted from the recipe featured on Vegan Yumminess.