Now that the kids are back in school, I am finding I have a lot more time to explore in the kitchen, meal plan and develop new recipes. I am back in my element and I love it! I thrive off routine, and the Summer always throws that aloof.
One of my recent recipe creations came to me when I was browsing a meal planning group on Facebook; a group where individuals share what they are having for dinner each night and sometimes a general guideline of how to make that meal.
A meal I have always loved is Chicken Parmesan. Only I have never had a recipe for it that just made me tick. That was until someone shared their basic outline for how they like to prepare their Chicken Parmesan. The outline wasn’t very detailed. Just a little bit of this and a little bit of that.
I did what I always do, adapted it and made the recipe my own by adding more spices and all that other jazz.
I don’t think I have ever heard my kids ever rave so much about one of the meals I have made! This Best Ever Chicken Parmesan recipe is so easy to make. It uses staple ingredients; ones you would usually find in your pantry. You can’t go wrong with a family favourite that will deem you a mealtime hero by all who are lucky to enjoy it!
Best Ever Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 4 to 5 boneless skinless, chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 jar Classic Sweet Basil Marinara Sauce
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda (helps to neutralize acidity of tomatoes)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground oregano
- Italian-style cheese shreds
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In small sauce pan, heat marinara sauce and spices. Bring to a slow simmer. Stirring often.
- Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a deep skillet over medium-low heat.
- Set up two separate pans: one containing whisked eggs and the other with the flour and seasoned bread crumbs.
- Dredge each chicken breast one by one in the egg and coat well with the bread crumb / flour mixture. Place in skillet and sear each side for 3-4 minutes before transferring to 9×13 casserole dish.
- Once each piece of chicken has been placed in the casserole dish, spoon the sauce over the chicken breasts. Top with shredded cheese. I aim for 1/4 cup approx per piece of chicken breast. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.