The holiday season is all about spending time with family and friends and enjoying traditions, both new and old. And of course, no gathering of loved ones is complete without dessert!
I can vividly remember spending Christmases up North with my Great Grandmother. Christmas was her favourite time of year. Not only because it brought together her family from afar, but also because it gave her the reigns to cook to her hearts desire. Boy – would she ever! I don’t think I have ever experienced a Christmas dinner quite like the one that she would put on.
There was always so much food! More than one’s belly and eyes could handle. Just as you would finish a plate. She would bring out another course, and then there were also the the desserts. Oh boy – could that woman bake up a mean tray of sweets!
I have my Nannie to thank for inspiring me, and showing me the ways of the kitchen. She is the one who brought out that the foodie in me, and I love that I get to continue her legacy. Mind you – I may not cook as much food as she does around the holidays! But – I do like to bake up a huge assortment of sweets to share with the family after our holiday dinners!
One of my favourite desserts to bake being cheesecake. There is just something about cheesecake! It is creamy and decadent, leaving much for the heart to desire. Pair it with Eggnog, and you have got yourself a masterpiece!
Seriously – Eggnog Cheesecake!!!! A recipe that is sure to become a festive favourite! A rich and creamy dessert that laces the flavours of nutmeg and spiced rum – It’s sure to be a holiday favourite!
(adapted from Vanilla-Eggnog Cheesecake recipe and Classic Eggnog Cheesecake)
For the crust:
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg and ground ginger
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 3 tbsp margarine, melted
For the cheesecake filling:
- 3 (8 oz packages) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup eggnog
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract or spiced rum
- 1 pinch pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 325F
- In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, 2 tbsp sugar, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and ground ginger.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a food processor combine sugar, cream cheese, flour and eggnog. Blend until smooth.
- Blend in eggs, vanilla extract and pumpkin pie spice. Pour mixture over crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 250F and continue to bake for 45 minutes. Turn off oven and let cheesecake sit in oven with oven door opened a crack for 1 hour. After the hour has passed room from oven and immediately loosen cake from rim of the pan. Cool completely before serving.
Love cheesecake? Check out these great cheesecake recipes for inspiration! You may even like these recipes for Cranberry-Cherry Chocolate Cheesecake, No Bake Cheesecake and No-Bake Raspberry White Chocolate Cheesecake Bites.