Some days feel long, but there is no doubt as the days go by that they are short. This saying can be particularly applied to right now; the start of a new school year.
It feels like it was just yesterday that my children were heading off to junior kindergarten and grade one. Yet now here we are. They are another year older, wiser and in a whole new grade. It seems pretty crazy!
I find now that they are back in class that the days seem to fly by faster than they did when I had all the children home with me for Summer break.
Our day starts at 6AM. We are out the door by 8:30AM and by the time I get home from school drop-off and running errands it is usually shy of 11AM. Just enough time for me to make lunch for my toddler and myself, get the little one down for a nap and sneak in time for a workout before heading back out the door to pick the kids up from school. Seriously – I am not kidding when I say the day goes by in a blink of an eye.
With how busy the days become with the start of each new school year, I often find myself flocking to prepare slow cooker meals or quick and easy 30-minute weeknight meals. I don’t have time to be messing around whipping up something gourmet in the kitchen. However that doesn’t mean that I can’t work with the minimal time I have and make a comforting dish that is not only full of flavour and nutritious, but also quick and easy.
My family has a slight obsession with Mexican food. Particularly tacos. I am not the biggest taco fan. Call me crazy, but tacos just aren’t my jam. One of the few ways I happen to enjoy anything taco is in pasta. Hence why I have taken it upon myself to create a Cheesy Taco Pasta recipe.
My Cheesy Taco Pasta recipe offers a bit of a kick that tantalizes the tastebuds, and when you include Chickapea Pasta as one of it’s key ingredients you can bet that you will be walking away from dinner having enjoyed a protein-filled and fiber-packed meal. Trust me when I say that eating this meal with Chickapea Pasta is like diving into a bowl full of “smiles, sunshine and super powers”! No seriously – Chickapea Pasta offers 23 grams of protein, 11 grams of fiber and is chock full of essentials nutrients, like: complex carbs, thiamine, folate, iron, zinc, B vitamins and the list could go on. Making this a flavourful dish you want in your life because it is super nutritious, offers quick cooking time while also working to help you build muscle and promotes belly health!
If that isn’t enough reason to entice you to make this Cheesy Taco Pasta recipe, then I don’t know what is!
Cheesy Taco Pasta Recipe
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 5 pickled jalapenos, diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or Daiya cheddar style shreds
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning (see recipe below)
- 540 ml can petite cut stewed tomatoes (I used Alymers Cracked Pepper and Roasted Garlic Stewed Tomatoes)
- 1 box (227 g) Chickapea Pasta Spirals
- 1 box (227 g) Chickapea Pasta Shells
Taco Seasoning Recipe:
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp flour
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the pasta. Cook for 5 to 9 minutes until al dente. Reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- In a large skillet add ground beef and onion. Cook until onion is translucent. Add jalapenos and continue to cook until beef is cooked through. Drain off fat.
- Add reserved pasta water, tomatoes and taco seasoning. Cover and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in cheese shreds until melted. Add cooked pasta and stir until well coated.
- Let stand a few minutes before serving.
Can’t get enough of Chickapea Pasta? I know – neither can I! Pick up another box and whip up this amazing Tomato, Basil and Sausage Pasta Sauce Recipe. You won’t be disappointed!
One lucky reader will receive a gift basket full of goodies, valued around $75. The contents of the gift basket includes:
- 1 box of Chickapea Spirals
- 1 box of Chickapea Penne
- 1 box of Chickapea Shells
- 1 bottle of Kiki Maple Sweet Water
- 1 container of Teatulia Chamomile Tea (30 bags)
- 1 bag (142g) of Neal Brothers Montreal Steak Spice Kettle Chips
- 1 jar of Neal Brothers Organic Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce
- 1 package (225g) of Budding Nutrition Gut Busters
- 1 package of (84g) Rawnata Vanilla Saskatoon Flax Crackers
Note: some of the prizing was graciously donated by Neal Brothers, Avid Gourmet and LCG Foods.
To enter complete the giveaway tools form below and leave a comment telling me what your what pasta you would make using Chickapea Pasta.
Disclosure: I am a Chickapea Pasta brand ambassador. I have received special perks ad compensation as a part of my affiliation with this program. All opinions are those of my own.