If anyone knows me well, they know that I love to shop local. This is no different when it comes to shopping for seasonal produce.
In fact, I quite look forward the Summer. You know the time of year when all the farmers markets pop back up. As does the various Ontario CSA Farm programs.
I have been quite known in the Summer to pop into the local Farm market down the road from our home almost daily. Nothing beats purchasing fresh seasonal produce and using it for dinner each night. Who am I kidding? That is even if the produce lasts until the dinner hour. I may be known to nosh on fresh produce like it is candy.
Not always am I able to make into the farm market though, and in those cases I will ask my husband to pop into Loblaw on the way home from work to grab the groceries I need. The awesome thing about Loblaw is that 40 per cent of produce sold in Loblaw stores is sourced by Canadian growers during this peak season. In fact, Loblaw is actually the largest purchaser of locally grown food in the country.
Loblaw recently teamed up with Michael Abramson creating of YamChops – Canada’s first and only vegetarian butcher shop to create some unique, seasonally inspired recipes, perfect for summer dining and entertaining.
These drool-worthy recipes included Watermelon “Steak”, Corn and Miso Soup, Smashed Fiesta Mini Potatoes, Tomato Sushi with Sugared Wasabi, and Basil Mint Chimichurri. The one recipe that stood out the most to me though was the recipe for Cauliflower Chocolate Pudding.
Cauliflower has been rising in popularity over the past couple of years because of its versatility and nutritional value. This recipe for Cauliflower Chocolate Pudding takes cauliflower to new heights, by using it to create something entirely unexpected: a sugar-free, super chocolaty after dinner treat. Heck – it does even need to be an after dinner treat! We will call it a healthy, anytime treat that is nothing short of a taste of heaven! You’ll want a big spoon when indulging in this dish.
Cauliflower Chocolate Pudding Recipe
(Recipe created by Michael Abramson of Yamchops on behalf of Loblaw)
- 3 cups (385 g) Cauliflower, divided
- 1 cup and ¼ cup Almond Milk
- 1/3 cup Cocoa powder
- 10 Medjool dates
- 1 tbsp PC® 100% Pure Medium Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp PC® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Wash cauliflower and break into small florets.
- Steam cauliflower until very tender and easily pierced with a skewer.
- Pit dates.
- Add dates and steamed cauliflower to a high-speed blender along with one cup of almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Blend until very smooth. Thin to desired consistency with remaining ¼ cup almond milk.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to serve. The pudding will thicken slightly in the refrigerator.
TIP: Cauliflower Chocolate Pudding may be kept covered in refrigerator for 3 days.
Suggested accompaniment: A big spoon.
Want to try out this recipe for yourself? Enter for a chance to win a $100 Presidents Choice gift certificate that you could use to recreate this recipe! To enter all you need to do is share a reason you think supporting local growers is important. Feel free to do so by leaving a comment below or by tweeting a message including the hashtags #NearYou and #WeLoveFood while tagging @adomesticmomma and @LoblawsON.
* This giveaway is open to residents of Canada only (excluding Quebec). This giveaway ends on September 11, 2016 at 11:59PM EST).
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. All opinions are those of my own.