Some days I surprise myself and today was one of those days. Life with a newborn can be so unpredictable. Some days are a complete gong show. Other days are extremely productive. Today was one of the more productive days.
Hey, while we are at it – we might as well call me Martha Stewart.
Yep. Today was a day where I got shit done. So much so that I even had time to prepare a scrumptious Bacon Jalapeño Mac and Cheese for dinner with a Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie for dessert. I may now have to do burpees 24/7 for the next month, but that’s fine by me because the meal my family got to sit down and enjoy tonight was phenomenal. It made all those extra calories worth all that comforting deliciousness!
The Bacon Jalapeño Mac & Cheese is one of those dishes that packs a bit of heat and amazing flavour. Once you try this variation you won’t want to go back to the classic version. Ever.
Bacon Jalapeño Mac & Cheese Recipe
- 1 box Catelli Smart Veggie Macaroni (340g)
- 12 slices bacon, chopped into bite size pieces
- 20 slices of pickled jalapenos, diced
- 1 medium spanish onion, chopped
- 3 cups extra old cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup Extreme Cheddar Goldfish Crackers, crushed
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 6 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Club House Garlic Plus (or garlic powder)
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook pasta until al dente. Drain. Rinse with cold water and set aside.
- In a frying pan, cook bacon. Remove bacon from pan. Set aside. Pat bacon dry with paper towel to remove excess fat drippings.
- Add onion and Jalapeños to the bacon drippings. Cook until onion is translucent. About 5 minutes.
- In a medium size pot, melt margarine. Whisk in flour and spices until it forms a paste. Whisk in milk. Cook over medium heat, stir frequently until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups of cheddar cheese.
- Combine bacon, onion, Jalapeños pasta and sauce. Stir well until evenly coated. Transfer to a 9×13 casserole dish. Top with crushed crackers and 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes before switching the oven to broil, and broiling for 2 to 3 minutes.
Love Mac and Cheese? You may love these recipes:
Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
Twisted Mac & Cheese
Aged Old Cheddar Mac & Cheese
This recipe is adapted from the version featured on Dishes and Dust Bunnies.