Mac and Cheese is something I could eat day in and out for the rest of my life if I had to. It is my favourite food. It is my comfort food. A meal that I could never get sick of.
One of my favourite mac and cheese dishes is the one that Hard Rock Cafe serves. This is just nothing quite like Hard Rock Cafe’s Twisted Mac and Cheese. Only when I order it from their restaurant, I skip the chicken and substitute broccoli. I truly was not kidding when I professed my love for vegetables in prior posts.
The reality is that not often do I get to visit the Hard Rock. Usually I only happen upon the restaurant when I stay at one of the hotels within Falls Avenue Resort, which isn’t all that often.
For this reason, I have tried my hand at coming up with a copycat of Hard Rock’s Twisted Mac and Cheese at home. I wouldn’t call my version a true copycat, as I have adapted my recipe to suit my tastes.
Rather than roasting the red pepper, I saute it. Rather than Cavatappi, I use Rotini. I also like to add in mushrooms and broccoli. Just a few minor changes that I think make the dish that much better, otherwise the taste is very much similar… if not better.
If you happen to love Hard Rock’s Twisted Mac and Cheese, give this recipe a try! You may find you love it as much as I do.
Twisted Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 375g box Rotini pasta
- 8oz Velvetta or 10 Velvetta Sliced Cheese
- 1 cup old cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced and quartered
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup aged parmesan cheese, shreds
- 1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 tsp Club House Garlic Plus (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook pasta until al dente. About 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, parsley and garlic plus. Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat about a tablespoon of EVOO over medium low heat. Add peppers, mushrooms and broccoli to pan. Season with a couple dashes of black pepper and salt. Cook about 5 minutes until veggies are tender or have reached your desired tenderness.
- Add milk to pan and cubes of Velveeta. Stir until Velveeta has melted.
- Add shredded cheese to pan with cayenne and black pepper. Stir in cooked pasta and mix well until pasta is evenly coated in sauce.
- Add breadcrumb mixture to pan and stir until pasta is evenly coated.
- Serve alongside a garden salad.
* If you want to add more heat, drizzle portioned servings with sriracha sauce.
If you love Mac and Cheese, you will love our recipe for Aged Parmesan and Cheddar Mac and Cheese, Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese, or Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese.