One of the things that I look forward to each weekend is the fact that the weekend is my time to sleep in and relish in the silence, as my husband wakes at the crack of dawn with the kids, cleans up and also manages to prepare me breakfast in bed.
Breakfast in bed often combines the natural goodness of eggs (over-easy, of course, there is no other way), toast and a plentiful amount of bacon… because well… bacon!!! AND – sometimes my husband even goes all out and prepares me Strawberry Nutella Stuffed Crepes.
Oh yes, I know I am a lucky gal!
One of the many reasons that I love to start my day with the natural goodness of eggs is because it is a great way to kick my day of with high-quality protein. Eggs have 6 grams of protein and 14 different nutrients, like iron, Vitamin A, folate and zinc, just to name a few. They are a nutritional powerhouse, if you ask me.
When I don’t have my husband around to prepare my breakfast, I will often whip up a Green Tea smoothie and Banana Egg Pancakes. These pancakes are really quite healthy and quite simple to make. Not only are they packed full of protein, but fiber as well. They help to keep you feeling full longer, curbing unnecessary snacking and cravings in between meals.
Banana Egg Pancakes Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1 banana
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch of cinnamon
- Heat a frying pan over medium-low heat. Melt a tablespoon of coconut oil in the pan.
- While the pan is heating, mash your banana in a bowl and mix in the eggs, ground flax seed, vanilla extract and cinnamon until the mixture is well blended and most chunks are removed.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into your frying pan. Carefully fry your pancake on each side and when flipping be very gentle using your spatula and the pancakes will easily tear.
- Serve the pancakes plain, with syrup or with peanut butter.
* This recipe makes about 8 to 10 miniature pancakes.
Now that you know my favourite way to Wake Up to Yellow. Tell me… what’s yours? Share your favourite way to wake up to yellow by sharing a tweet, posting a message and/or sharing a picture of your favourite egg breakfast using the hashtag #WakeUptoYellow for a chance to win a uniquely Canadian getaway valued at $3,000.
* Contest period starts on February 2, 2016 and ends on February 16, 2016, and is open to residents of Canada only. For official contest rules and regulations, see below.**
In addition to the upcoming #WakeUpToYellow contest, on February 2, 2016 Egg Farmers of Canada will be set-up in Young-Dundas Square in Toronto from 7:30AM to 11:30AM handing out breakfast sandwiches and potted daffodils to any commuters walking by. This event is proven to put a smile on anyone’s face. I mean how could walking up to yellow not brighten anyone’s day! If you are in the area on the 2nd, be sure to stop by and say hi.
To learn more great tips about the importance of waking up to yellow or for more information, you can connect with Egg Farmers of Canada on Twitter at @eggsoeufs or Get Cracking on Facebook. Alternatively, you can also visit the Egg Farmers of Canada website.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. Compensation has been received in exchange for this post. All opinions are those of my own.
** BY ENTERING THE CONTEST, YOU (“ENTRANT” OR “YOU”) MUST AGREE TO THESE OFFICIAL RULES:
1. Administrator and Sponsor. The administrator of The Wake Up to Yellow contest is Citizen Optimum L.P. 33 Jefferson Avenue, Toronto, ON M6K 1Y3 (the “Administrator”). The sponsor of this contest is Egg Farmers of Canada, 21 Florence St., Ottawa, ON K2P 0W6 (the “Sponsor”). (Egg Farmers of Canada is the trade name used by Canadian Egg Marketing Agency.) The Sponsor’s role in the contest is limited to providing the prizes to the contest winners and the Sponsor has no responsibility for the administration of the contest.
2. Eligibility. The Wake Up to Yellow contest is open only to legal residents of Canada who are at least eighteen (18) years old at the time of entry. Employees of the Sponsor or of the Administrator (and members of the immediate families and households of such employees), and their respective affiliated and associated and related companies, agents and subsidiaries, and all of their respective affiliates, directors, officers, owners, partners, employees, agents, representatives, successors and assigns will not be eligible. No purchase is necessary to participate in this contest.
3. Agreement to Official Rules. Participation in this contest constitutes an Entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all of the requirements set forth in these Official Rules.
4. Submission Entry Period. Entrants may make submissions via Twitter following the method outlined below in the section “How to Enter”. Submissions must be made after 8:00 am EST on February 2, 2016 and before 11:59:59 pm on February 16, 2016 (the “Entry Period”). If date and time are changed Entrants who have entered the contest will be notified via twitter using the hashtags identified in the section “How to Enter”.
5. How to Enter:
a. Submissions: To enter the contest Entrants must submit an original photo of their favourite egg breakfast, and post it on Twitter with the hashtag #WakeUpToYellow (English) or #UnSoleilAuRéveil (French) and a mention of @eggsoeufs. The submitted entry must comply with the content restrictions set out in these Official Rules (the “Content Restrictions”).
b. Entry: By entering you agree that your entry conforms to the conditions of this contest (including the Content Restrictions) and that the Administrator may disqualify you from the contest if it determines that your entry fails to conform to such conditions. Entries must be submitted during the Entry Period. There is no limit to the number of entries and each tweet constitutes a single entry. Only entries submitted during the Entry Period will be considered.
c. The Administrator’s time clock is the official clock for this contest.
a. a. Prizes are available to legal residents of Canada only. There is one (1) Grand Prize of a trip for two
(2) to a participating hotel in British Columbia. Prizing details and limitations outlined below:
• Two (2) day trip to Fairmont Pacific Rim, Vancouver, BC, V6C 0B9, or a comparable hotel, for up to a maximum of two (2) people
• Airfare: Domestic (originating in Canada) roundtrip coach airfare provided for up to two (2) people ($1,000 maximum cost per ticket)
• Accommodations: one (1) room with two (2) double beds for up to two (2) nights ($1,000 maximum cost for two (2) night stay)
• Meals: breakfast at Fairmont Pacific Rim for two (2) mornings
• The trip itself must occur (and have been fully completed) by the end date of December 31, 2016
• The Sponsor will offer the above (airfare and accommodations) up to a maximum of $3,000. Additional expenses will be covered by prize winner
• Not included: any expenses or charges other than as set out above. For example, insurance, activities and meals (excepting breakfast), ground transportation to and from the airport, and parking are not covered and will be the contest winner’s responsibility.
• Travel blackout periods may apply
b. All Prizes are non-transferable, with no cash redemptions, equivalents or substitutions except at Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. Prize details and availability are subject to change. The Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole and absolute discretion and for any reason, to award a substitute prize of equal or greater value, including without limitation, a cash award. Unclaimed prizes will not be awarded. There is a limit of one (1) prize per person, and household. Odds of winning are based on the number of submissions received during the Entry Period. Notwithstanding the foregoing, any change to the prize or substitution of a cash award in place of the prize is subject to the approval of the Régies des alcools, des course et des jeux in the province of Quebec, if required.
c. Prizes will be awarded using a random drawing, which will be conducted by the Administrator at its offices at the address noted above within 24 hours of the end of the Entry Period. Potential winners will be notified via Twitter of their winnings. Potential winners must respond within 24 hours with shipping information and phone number, must confirm their eligibility (including by providing such information as the Administrator may request to confirm such eligibility) and must successfully answer a mathematical skill-testing question in order to be declared a winner. If a potential winner does not respond, confirm eligibility, or answer the skill-testing question correctly, an alternate winner will be chosen from valid entries. The name and Twitter username of the winner will be posted on Twitter within 24 hours after the selection of the winner.
d. Prizes are shipped directly from the Administrator of the contest and winner is not responsible for shipment of prizing, shipping fees, or insurance for the contest prize. The Administrator will make reasonable efforts to ensure your prizes are delivered within 30 days but is not liable for non-receipt for any reason after 90 days.
7. Entrant’s Personal Information. Your personal information will be used for prize fulfillment only and for no other use or intention.
8. Entries generated by script, macro, robotic, programmed, or any other automated means are prohibited and will be disqualified. The Administrator and Sponsor will not be responsible for late, lost, illegible, falsified, damaged, misdirected, mutilated, garbled or incomplete entries, which will be void. All entries become the property of the Administrator upon receipt and none will be returned.
9. Content Restrictions:
Entries must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement; Entries must not disparage the Sponsor, the Administrator or any other person or party associated with the contest; Entries must not contain brand names, trade names, trademarks or any other third party identifying marks, other than those owned by the Sponsor, which Entrant has a limited license to use to incorporate in his/her entry in this contest; Entries must not contain images or artwork not created by entrant; Entries must not refer to third parties without their express permission; Entries must not contain material that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, hateful, tortuous, defamatory, slanderous or libelous, or in the sole discretion of the Sponsor not in good taste; Entries must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; and the Submission must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any province where Submission is created.
10. The Administrator and the Sponsor are not responsible for any lost, misdirected or late entries, or contest documents, or any problems or technical malfunctions of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems or servers, computer software problems or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website and assume no liability for damage to entrant’s or any person’s computer or other device resulting from participating in the contest. The Administrator or Sponsor may conduct investigations as relates to the contest, and Entrants agree to cooperate in such respect. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of a winner based on a Twitter account, the winning entry will be deemed to have been made by the authorized account holder of the Twitter account at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is the natural person who is assigned a Twitter account. By participating in the contest, Entrants release and agree to hold harmless the Administrator and Sponsor and their respective parent companies, affiliates or related companies, directors, employees, officers and agents, including without limitation, their advertising/promotion agencies from any and all liability, injury, loss, or damage of any kind, including but not limited to personal injury or death, arising from or in connection with participation in the contest, or the awarding, receipt, possession, use or misuse of any prize and/or with respect to participation in any prize-related activity. Entrants agree to abide by these Official Contest Rules, and decisions of the Administrator and Sponsor, as the case may be, whose decisions are final in all matters relating to this contest, subject to section 11 in the case of the province of Quebec.
11. Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of the contest arising in the province of Quebec may be submitted to the Régies des alcools, des course et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.