Sometimes playtime can almost seem like a chore. Trying to find something for your toddler to do just so you can enjoy a hot coffee or try to wash a few dishes can almost seem impossible. I know I have been there numerous times. It can almost feel like an endless battle. A battle that doesn’t have to be.
As parent’s we can all appreciate and understand how important it is to encourage imaginative play. Imaginative play is a crucial aspect to a child’s development. Yet quite often when it comes to playtime, parents often flock to handing over electronic devices to their little ones, offering screen time as a primary form of “play”. I will admit that I am even guilty of this, but I am working on breaking this habit.
In a recent survey released by MEGA BLOKS, they found that 83% of parents say they run out of ideas to keep their children engaged during playtime, in turn relying on screen time to fill that void.
MEGA BLOKS understands and empathsizes with a parents need to help in keep their toddlers busy, engaged and learning, and created a new line of cognitive construction toys.
Toys like the MEGA BLOKS Friendly Farm and MEGA BLOKS Block Scooping Wagon that help to entertain and keep my youngest busy at the best of times. You can often find her sitting on the floor for hours trying to build new “structures” for her farm animals. These toys let her imagination ignite and come to life. I quite enjoy being able to sit on the floor with her and participate in playtime (you know when she actually lets me touch her MEGA BLOKS… She is slightly protective of them), but at the very least I get to enjoy a warm cup of coffee while sitting with her and witnessing that little light go off as she learns through these engaging toys.
When she isn’t busy with her Fun Farm, you will often find her emptying her wagon, so that she can coax her big brother into pulling her around the family member. She hasn’t quite realized that the Block Scooping Wagon is not her awaiting chariot, but rather a wagon that will help pick up the blocks, helping making clean-up a fun aspect of playtime too.
As Parenting Expert, Alyson Schafer, has said, “Children are experiential learners and need to interact in real time, with the real world to develop properly. Free play is the natural way our brains are meant to grow and that’s why MEGA BLOKS construction toys are so beneficial to a child’s development. A simple task like stacking MEGA BLOKS teaches children how to widen the base to support a taller stack, the feeling of teetering and stability, persistence and patience in building, while receiving social encouragement.” Her quote couldn’t be more true! This is why MEGA BLOKS has always been my go-to brand over the years when purchasing toys for each one of my children.
Are you looking to expand the Power of Play within your home? Here are 5 helpful tips for parents that will help keep playtime fun and engaging for their toddlers.
- Children Thrive On Routine And Predictability. Practice patience with your child by creating a set playtime and sticking with it.
- Create Independent Playtime Too. Help them come up with a few ideas of what they’d like to play with, and help get them set up, in order to balance “parental playtime” and “independent playtime.”
- Round Out Your Activities. Come up with fun ideas for activities, in a range of developmental areas!
- Make Good Organized Play Space. Kids need a place to play and it should be equipped with basic items, and without parental worry of noise, spills and property damage.
- Bonus Tip: If you have more toys out and active than your child can clean up in five minutes, you have too much going on in your playroom.
- Let the Child Lead. When you join your child in play, let them lead the play – this is their time to explore and learn through mistakes.
* MEGA BLOKS are sold at all major Canadian retailers including: Toys R Us, Walmart, Sears, Real Canadian Super Stores and Amazon.ca.
Rediscover the Power of Play with MEGA BLOKS. Enter to win a MEGA BLOKS First Builders ABC Spell School Bus.
To enter complete the giveaway form below, and leave a comment discussing how would you help toddlers get the most out of playtime while keeping playtime fun and engaging.
*This giveaway is open to Canadian residents only. Giveaway ends on January 6, 2016 at 11:59 PM EST.
Disclosure: I was provided with MEGA BLOKS products to help facilitate this post. No other compensation was received. All opinions are those of my own.