Do you ever have those nights when you are just not at all compelled to cook dinner? Those nights when you wonder why the dinner fairies failed to show up for their shift (yet) again, and dinner is just not making itself.
Ya… Those nights are the pits, aren’t they?
It is on those nights that you tend to be more compelled to finger dial and order take-out or grab a processed meal out of the freezer, which is ok from time to time… Realistically though, it is always much cheaper just to cook at home and generally the healthier option too.
One of my old time favourite meals to make when I really don’t feel like cooking is Hamburger Helper. More specifically, Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff. This meal happened to be the very meal that got me through the evenings during those college days. Well that and Kraft Dinner, of course.
However, over the years I have come to realize how much easier and healthier it can be to make Beef Stroganoff at home, skipping the box.
My One Pan Beef Stroganoff is just like Hamburger Helper, only I think it is family and so do my children. Heck – my picky 4 year old often gets up and grabs seconds or thirds when I make this dish. It is not often that, that happens with any other meal.
So if you are fan of one pan meals and Hamburger Helper, I encourage you to make this dish. You won’t be disappointed, I assure you!
One Pan Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 1lb ground beef
- 8oz container sliced cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic or 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 340g bag of medium egg noodles
- 1.5 cups beef broth
- 1.75 cups milk
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Club House Garlic Plus (optional)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Add ground beef, onion, garlic and mushrooms to skillet over medium heat. Season with a couple dashes of black pepper and salt. Cook until ground beef is browned and onion is translucent. Drain off fat.
- Add all purpose flour to pan. Stir to coat meat.
- Add wine, beef broth, milk, paprika, pepper, salt and garlic plus to pan. Mix well.
- Stir in egg noodles.
- Cover with lid and bring liquids to a light boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and continue to cook for 10-12 minutes until egg noodles are cooked through and liquid has evaporated. Stir occasionally.
- Once liquids have evaporated, stir in sour cream. Remove pan from heat and let skillet stand for 3-5 minutes before serving.
If you like this recipe, you may also like my recipe for:
Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff
One Pan Penne Pasta Skillet
Crock Pot Mac ‘n Cheese