Over the weekend I took a browse through some of my old recipe archives. I like to do that from time to time, as it brings me ideas of recipes that I can either add to the meal plan or bring back to life.
When I came across my recipe for Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup, I knew I just had to make it. This soup is chuck full of carbs. The ultimate dish for this pregnant lady who only seems to find comfort in carb-loaded meals.
My hope by reviving the recipe and making some minor updates was to transform this soup into something that not only my husband and I would enjoy, but also my children. My efforts turned out to be a right success!
Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup
- 5lbs white or russet potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 2 (900 ml) containers low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (250g) container cream cheese
- 1 tbsp dried onion flakes
- 0.5 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp Club House Garlic Plus
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Green onion, bacon bits and shredded cheddar cheese (for garnish)
- Place potatoes, chicken broth and spices all in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low 8 hours.
- During last 30 minutes of cook time, puree potatoes with a hand blender.
- Add cream cheese to soup and return lid to slow cooker for 30 more minutes.
- Give a good stir before serving to ensure the cream cheese has blended in with the soup.
- Serve, and garnish soup with green onion, bacon bits and/or shredded cheddar cheese.