Over the years, I have been around the block on more than a few occasions to purchase car seats for my children. There is so much to take into consideration when shopping for a car seat for your child. Safety being the most important factor! I’m sure most parents would agree.
Here are some tips to take into consideration when purchasing a car seat for your little one:
- Do your research before buying. Baby won’t care what the car seat looks like. Go for safety first not aesthetics.
- In theory car seats are all designed to fit in any car. However, this does not mean that each and every car seat can fit each and every car safely and correctly. Be sure to visit stores, chat with trained staff and try out the car seats for yourself to see which one(s) may work best for your family. Evenflo happens to be a brand that best works for mine!
- Check the labels on the car seat! Make sure the car seat you are looking to buy has the National Safety Mark label attached to it, indicating that the seat complies with Canadian regulations and standards.
- Keep height and weight restrictions in mind. Who will you be intending to use the car seat for? Will your child fit in it? Ideally, how long would you like to use this car seat?
- There are three types of car seats. Infant, all-in-one and convertible. A newborn can realistically fit into either type of car seat. Take into consideration which type of seat would best suit your lifestyle. While a convertible car seat may save you money overtime, an infant car seat offers the ease of easily transferring your baby from point A to point B.
- Ensure the model of car seat you are purchasing has a 5-point harness, side impact protection and compatibility with the latch system.
- Make sure the car seat can easily adjust to baby as he / she grows. Can the straps be readjusted without the need of being rethreaded?
- Once you have purchased your car seat, visit a car seat clinic to ensure that your car seat is safely and correctly installed in your vehicle.
Safety is always at the top of the mind of any parent, especially when it comes to transportation of our children. Evenflo Canada’s Car Seat Expert shares with us 5 Car Seat Saftey Tips that every parent should check out!
Disclosure: I’m an Evenflo Canada brand ambassador. Special perks, product and compensation have been received in exchange for this post. All opinions are those of my own.