Would you believe me if I told you that as of 10:21PM tonight that Miss. E will be 7 weeks old? Yep! 7 weeks! How crazy is that? If someone knows how to freeze time please tell me because it seems to be slipping on by at an incredibly rapid rate.

It is hard to believe that 7 weeks ago I snapped a pregnancy photo of me at 39 week, 4 days to share on social media. I loved to capture photos of my bump development along the way! It was a great way to document my pregnancy.

39 weeks, 4 days... 13 hours before I went into labour.
39 weeks, 4 days… 13 hours before I went into labour.

Little did I know at the time that I would go into labour 13 hours later.

You see when I went into labour, I wasn’t quite convinced that I was in labour. I had fallen down the stairs the week prior and had been experiencing false labour on and off for days after the fall. This labour was nothing like my prior experiences. It had it’s similarities, but overall the experience was different. For the better.

March 6 started off like any ordinary day for me (aside from some bloody show that greeted me that morning ) .  I dropped my daughter off at the bus stop for school. Once she was on her way, I headed over to McDonald’s with the little man to grab my daily dose of java. I hadn’t slept well the night before and Cameron had woke up quite early that morning. I knew that he was tired, but my only chance of him napping was in the car. After grabbing my java, I took a long drive with him. Between the cruising along the highway and bumpy country side roads, we spent a good portion of the morning on the road. My tunes were cranked. The sun was shining. I was in my zone!

That afternoon, I had planned to take it easy. Rather I wound up cleaning the house top to bottom. Being that I was planning a home birth and had hired a birth photographer, I wanted my house to look immaculate when I went into labour. Call it nesting. Call it what you will. BUT – my house had to be spotless! I saw to it that it was.

After cleaning, I retreated to my yoga ball. I bounced on that ball and caught up on some shows on the tube.

The day flew by. Before I knew it Cadence was home from school and my husband was on his way home from work.

Shortly after 7:30PM I started to feel those “false” labour pains again. Well… what I thought was “false” labour pains. This time I was determined to get the contractions to progress. So I grabbed my yoga ball, got on all fours and rocked on the ball. The contractions still seemed quite dull, but they were consistent. I wasn’t going to page my midwife, but my mood is what gave me the push to do it. I was going through the emotions of being overly excited, tearful, anxious and scared shitless. My mood changed as quickly as the oceans current. I paged my midwife shortly after 7:50PM.

By 8PM my midwife, Lauren, was at my house and ready to assess me. The benefit of having a midwife live in the same subdivision as you, they arrive at your home in no time!

Upon being assessed I was 3 centimeters. Lauren stretched me to 4 centimeters, and the waiting game began as I laboured while Lauren and my husband set up our master bedroom for delivery.


We never made a point to inform the troops that I was in labour. The only people in the know were my Mother-in-law, midwife, birth photographer, and my good friend and neighbour, Melissa. Melissa had been an amazing support to me throughout my pregnancy. She was one of the first people to find out I was pregnant, and one of the first people to find out I was in labour.


I had originally planned for a water birth. However, the birthing pool that I rented wasn’t returned on time by the person who had rented it prior to me. This forced me to come out of my comfort zone a little bit. I took the birth pool not being available as sign. A sign that I wasn’t meant to labour in the water. Rather I spent a good chunk of time labouring on the toilet, standing and kneeling at the side of my bed.


 My only request was that someone hold me through each and every one of my contractions. I wanted that companion to hug and cling on to. The hugs brought me the warmth and comfort I needed to find my zen.


I can remember sitting on the toilet, breaking down at one point during my labour. I was scared. Scared I would lose my baby. Scared things wouldn’t pan out. You see my sister was a third child and she passed away days after her birth. Being that Everly was my third child I have always had this intense fear of something going wrong during the pregnancy or labour and delivery. My midwife gave me a pep talk and enough reassurance that I needed to clear my head. Worrying wasn’t going to do anything more than wear me down more and potentially stall the progression of my labour. The last thing I wanted was the labour to stall.

As each contraction would come and go, I kept feeling surges that gave me the urge to want to push. After much discussion, we decided it would be best that Lauren go ahead and break my bag of waters.


I continued to labour at the side of my bed once my water had been broken. Not for long though.


Shortly after 10PM, I made my way on to the bed to start pushing. Apparently I am a really good pusher. Er… so says my midwife!


At 10:21PM, Everly was born. I’ll never forget the sounds of her first cries. The magical feeling of her being placed upon my chest.


I did it, I really did it! I brought this beautiful being into the world.


I was so in awe of her in those first few moments after her delivery. Her tiny fingers. Her tiny toes. Her cute little face. Her eagerness to breastfeed and desire to continue to grow that blossoming bond with me. She was (and still is) every ounce of perfection. Everly may have taken just over 18 months to conceive and 9 months to bake, but she was well worth the wait!


Here is a video slideshow (with audio) of her birth. Make sure you have tissues near by if you watch the video. You’ve been warned!

I’m so incredibly thankful to have had an amazing support team throughout my pregnancy, labour and delivery! I’m also incredibly grateful that I had the amazing Calla Evans there to document the birth. This birthing experience was nothing short of transformative, empowering and beautiful! There is no better way to describe it.


13 Comments on Miss. E’s Birth Story

  1. @mongupp
    April 25, 2014 at 1:29 pm (4 years ago)

    Absolutely beautiful!

  2. Randa
    June 11, 2014 at 12:01 pm (4 years ago)

    Not too many women can look stunning while in labor. You look amazing 🙂

    • Nicole
      June 11, 2014 at 2:22 pm (4 years ago)

      Awe – thank you!

  3. Terri
    June 11, 2014 at 7:09 pm (4 years ago)

    beautiful story and the pictures are amazing!

  4. Jenn
    June 11, 2014 at 7:43 pm (4 years ago)

    AMazing! Wow! Thank you for sharing!

  5. Kathleen Garber
    June 12, 2014 at 10:27 am (4 years ago)

    What a beautiful story and such beautiful photography as well! What a great way to really remember her birth. You made it through the worries and look at her now!


7Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Miss. E’s Birth Story

  1. […] surprise me in the least that she mentioned she would like to be a midwife one day. Last year, she was so inspired by my midwife, Lauren, after the birth of Everly that she had the imagination center in your kindergarten class […]

Leave a reply to Jack and Jill Kids has a new team member! Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comment *