In today’s fast-paced world it is easy to get lost in the everyday and forget about the big picture. So often we get lost in crossing things off of our ever-growing to-do list that we just forget to sit back and take it all in. You know the little things. The things that really aren’t so little because when you stop and think about the things that count as “little” they are generally very important and make us happy. Isn’t finding your happiness a huge deal in life? I sure like to think so.
So why not celebrate the things that make us happy, and focus on all those lollipop moments – those moments that change or make an impact on our lives when we’re not even paying attention.
When my daughter started junior kindergarten this Fall, I made a point to spend more downtime with my son. My daughter was lucky enough to enjoy 18 months of quality alone time with me prior to the birth of my son. My son will only really get to enjoy 6 months of quality one-on-one time with me until our 3rd child is born. I want to make the most of this Mommy-Son time that we have together.
Being a work-at-home Mom this means that I have had to restructure my daily routine. I now work in the early morning, during nap time, quiet time, when the kids go to bed and sometimes on weekend mornings. It all pays off though. I still manage to get my daily work completed for clients, and my son gets my full attention.
My son while he enjoys sitting around watching movies and reading books is an adventure seekers. That little mind of his is full of imaginative and creative ideas. He loves to explore! He is very hands on and eager to learn through play. I always love sitting back with him, enjoying all those “little moments” and watching the world through his eyes as we play.
Some of our journey’s recently have found us…
- Watching movies and enjoying snuggle time.
- Reading Books. Some favourites include books about firetrucks, construction, and books exploring Thomas’ adventures around Tidmouth with all of his friends.
- Working at the car wash.
- Exploring nature trails with a scavenger hunt list.
- Enjoying downtime at the park.
- Listening to and watching the trains. We live on the countryside, so quite often we will come across freight trains on walks or drives. Occasionally we will be able to sit on the porch and listen to the sounds of trains in the distance. These experiences always set up the ground work for amazing conversations.
- Building creative memories with the “choo- choo” (train) track. My son is so obsessed with his trains that once we are done playing with his train track he will hide his trains in his bed for safe keeping.
All of the above-mentioned moments while they may seem little are actually quiet huge. They are moments that my son and I will always cherish. They are the foundations of a great bond and blossoming relationship. Making the most of family downtime is very important to me. It makes you realize that certain stresses in life are really nothing more than molehills. And – we all know how the saying goes, “Don’t make mountains out of molehills“.
So from here on out I’m going to make a point to be the landlord in my life, celebrate all the lollipop moments, and disregard all of those tenants (you know the ones that have no value… the molehills so to speak).
Sometimes all it takes is stopping and reflecting on all those little moments to make you appreciate the bigger picture. For me those little moments involve quality family downtime.
I recently found out that Fisher-Price was adding some new Thomas & Friends products to the product line up.
In today’s fast-paced world, Thomas & Friends give children and families a time and place to slow down, share, imagine stories, and make new friends. They deliver messages about important values through imaginative, relatable storytelling and characters… and always in the friendliest, most engaging ways!
My son is going to be so over-the-moon with excitement when he finds out.
I can’t wait to surprise him with some of these new Thomas & Friends products at Christmas. I already know Christmas day is going to be filled with lots of family play time!
Some of the great Thomas & Friends products joining the Fisher Price line-up include:
King of the Railway DVD
Join Thomas & Friends as they embark on a legendary movie adventure! The steam team’s quest begins when a special guest arrives on Sodor with a big surprise and important jobs for Thomas, Percy and James. The engines meet new friends and discover suits of armour; coats of arms and legends of long-ago heroes. Then their bravery is put to the test when their new friend Stephen goes missing. Will Thomas find him in time? Will the engines discover the truth about the Island of Sodor’s biggest mystery? It’s a crusade of knightly proportions for Thomas & Friends in this epic movie! (DVD also available in French)
Thomas & FriendsTM Take-n-PlayTM Thomas’ Adventure Castle Playset
- Take-n-Play is all about portable playsets for on the go play
- Inspired by the new Thomas & Friends™ adventure, King of the Railway, Thomas’ Adventure Castle puts movie-size fun right in the hands of your little engineer! It’s time to get Ulfstead Castle ready for the Earl of Sodor’s celebration, so Thomas and the Troublesome Truck are racing down the track to get the job done! As they zoom downward, the flags unfurl and the treasure is revealed! Thomas and Troublesome Truck come together at the bottom to knock down the drawbridge as the knights arrive! Then they load up the King’s treasure to display for all to see! 3Y+
Thomas & FriendsTM TrackmasterTM Castle Quest Set
- Trackmaster track sets feature motorized engines that power themselves around the track.
- Inspired by the Thomas & Friends™ DVD movie, King of the Railway, the track set features Thomas’ journey for the missing King’s crown. Can your child help him navigate the crumbling castle grounds and emerge with the prize? Use the crane to swing the missing track in place so Thomas can continue on his journey as walls collapse around him. He needs to race through the castle before the gate drops down, then descend into the abandoned mine and escape with the crown! With excitement around every turn, the TrackMaster™ Castle Quest Set provides endless entertainment! Requires 1 AA battery. Ages 3+
Disclosure: I am part of the Fisher-Price Thomas & Friends Blogger Campaign with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.