Autumn is a common season in our household to whip out the trusty ol’ Crock Pot, and enjoy some hearty, comforting dishes.
Stews, soups, or chili… anyone?!
While I may currently have a serious pregnancy aversion to all things chili at the moment (sad, I know)… I have really been digging soups and stews. I’ve been on a mad hunt for new recipes. Sleuthing out Pinterest like crazy. That website truly is addicting. However, no matter how many soups I continue to test out the one soup that I have and always will continue to fall back on is Hamburger Soup.
My Nana introduced me to Hamburger Soup during my childhood. Whenever she would whip up a batch for herself, she would always make a point to jar some up for me to enjoy in the comfort of my own home. She passed away last December, and I now have the pleasure in continuing her legacy through my love of baking and cooking.
Hearty Hamburger Soup will always be on our Fall and Winter rotation! It’s just that perfect meal for a cool day, and has a nice touch of kick to it.
A few years ago, I featured a recipe for Hamburger Soup on the blog. However, I have since adapted the recipe to add a little more spice and adjusted the flavours.
Hearty Hamburger Soup
- 1.5lb extra lean ground beef
- 900 ml beef broth
- 14 oz chicken broth
- 28 oz diced tomatoes (with juices)
- 8 oz pasta sauce 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp worcestshire sauce
- 1 tbsp seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 onion (diced)
- 3 ribs celery (diced)
- 10-15 baby carrots (diced)
- 1 green pepper (diced)
- 2.5 cups frozen corn
- 1/4 cup barley
- 1.5 cups dried small bow pasta or alphabet pasta
- A few dashes of cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Brown ground beef. Season with a few dashes of salt and pepper while cooking. Drain fat. Set aside.
- Combine the broths, pasta sauce and diced tomatoes in the slow cooker with your spices.
- Add the barley, chopped vegetables and frozen corn.
- Cook on low for 8-9 hours or high for 4-5.
- 30 minutes before serving stir in the dried pasta.
- Serve alongside a nice piece of crusty bread.