Did you know that today marks Family Literacy Day? It’s such a special day to take the time to reap all the benefits of reading and bonding with our families.
What do you do to promote literacy around your house?
Everyday as a family we sit down and enjoy a circle time. During circle time we sing songs, perform finger plays, read books and use our imaginations to make up stories. I love to watch my children get their creative juices flowing. Their imaginations really come alive. It’s a wonderful thing to witness as I live vicariously through them. Over the day I ask a series of questions pertinent to reading:
- What’s your favorite book?
- Do you want to read to Mommy?
- Can you tell Mommy a story?
- Do you remember “such and such” from “this book”?
- Who’s your favorite character in “this book”? Why?