Yesterday I had my 37 week appointment with the midwives’. What I thought was going to be a normal follow-up turned out to be my worst nightmare. Everything was going routinely. The midwife was doing all her normal routine checks – belly measurements, etc. When she proceeded with the fetal heart rate reading, I noticed that the sound the doppler was picking up was quite slow. I tried to blow it off… Until my midwife announced that the heart rate was abnormally low, and that she was going to take me to another room to do an in-office non-stress test. This test monitors contractions, cramping, fetal heart rate and fetal movement. The midwife had me set up on this machine for a little over 20 minutes. In that 20 minutes, I had many contractions… 2 fetal movements… and the baby’s heart beat was irattic. The test results came back that Little Miss C was non-reactive. At this point I was starting to get really emotional. I had no clue what the heck was going on or what to expect.

My midwife informed me that I needed to be admitted to the hospital ASAP for an emergency ultrasound and fetal monitoring/assessment. She paged the midwife on call to meet me at the childbirth center at the hospital. The whole drive to the hospital I just cried and cried. I was scared. I didn’t know what to expect. I wanted my husband. I’m sure I would have been a little more calm about everything had JMK been at the appointment with me, but he wasn’t he was at work (he usually doesn’t come with me to these appointments, as he has to commute so far!).

When I got to the hospital, I was admitted right away and had to head straight down to diagnostic imaging for the ultrasound. The ultrasound took about an hour. It felt like FOREVER! Lying in the bed, as the tech did her work… I could feel myself trembling and shaking. It didn’t help that the ultrasound tech had such a blank and empty look on her face. I was extremely crampy, couldn’t feel any fetal movement… I was scared shitless.

Following the ultrasound, the tech handed me an envelope containing the results that I took back to the childbirth center in the hospital with me. My midwife met me in the childbirth center. She took me to an assessment room, and got all the monitoring machines set up. She had me eat a sandwich and drink some juice. She felt horrible that I was so emotional and tried to do her best to relax me. She was amazing. I was set up for monitoring for a few hours. The results ended up coming back reactive, and Little Miss C seemed to be doing fine based on the ultrasound and assessments. I even learnt that Little Miss C currently weighs in at 6lbs, 13oz.

JMK managed to arrive to the hospital shortly before my discharge. He tried so hard to get to the hospital as fast as possible, which was incredibly sweet!

Anyhoo, I am home now and resting. When I got home last night, I went straight up stairs put on my jammies and went right to bed. I woke up almost 14 hours later. I’m still feeling pretty crampy and tired, so I just plan to take it easy for the remainder of the day.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comment *