The holidays always find me spending a fair bit of time in the kitchen. The reality is that while I love it, I also love when I can minimize my time spent cooking and maximize my time spent enjoying special moments with my family.
This is often why you will find me flocking to preparing a lot of meals in advance. Particularly when it comes to brunch.
One of our go-to favourites meals at brunch is French Toast. I may not always have time to prepare it freshly on the stove top, but quite often I can spare 5 to 10 minutes the night prior to prepare the ever so popular Overnight French Toast Casserole recipe that I have kicking around.
Just be warned this recipe is fairly sweet, so you may or may not want to slather it in maple syrup! It all depends on how much your sweet tooth can handle!
Overnight French Toast Casserole Recipe
- 12 pieces of texas toast bread
- 1 stick butter or 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1.5 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 1.5 cups milk or egg nog
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Coat 9×13 casserole dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Melt 1 stick of butter in a microwave safe bowl. Once melted stir in brown sugar. Mix well. Pour into bottom of casserole dish.
- In another medium sized bowl mix eggs, milk or egg nog, vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar.
- In a small bowl combine 3 tablespoons brown sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Set aside.
- Line bottom of casserole dish with 6 pieces of texas toast. Pour half of the egg mixture over the bread and sprinkle with half of the cinnamon sugar mixture. Repeat another layer with bread, egg and cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Cover in foil and keep in fridge overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Bake for 30 minutes with foil and 15 minutes without. Let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon powdered sugar and serve.
Seeking out other overnight casserole recipes? Check out these recipes for Cinnamon Roll French Toast Bake and Sausage & Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole.