‘Tis the season. Cold and flu season that is.
We are now almost into our third month of school, and my kids are now on their third cold since heading back to class. Colds in which they aren’t shying away from sharing with their parents.
In fact, I caught a monstrous head cold a few weeks ago and had pointed fingers at my 7 year old daughter for sharing it with me. Her response, “Mommy, you were the one who taught me that in this house we share. We share EVERYTHING… So I did!” Got to love kids, eh!? It’s all right. The extra snuggles and sniffles while we watch movies under a cozy blanket on the couch makes it all worth it.
So what’s a Momma to do when we are in the midst of cold season? Make a lot of soup – that’s what!
More often than not you are likely to find different soups on our weekly meal rotation right now. Nothing is more comforting when the cold weather hits than a scrumptious, heartwarming bowl of soup. My personal fave being Chicken Noodle Soup.
A made a batch of my chicken noodle soup earlier this week. Instead of using regular old Egg Noodles in the recipe, I decided to tweak the recipe a bit and sub in Chickapea Penne Pasta. Boy oh boy – was that ever an awesome decision! The Chickapea Pasta added a little bit more of protein and fiber punch to the soup, but you would have never been able to tell that when slurping down a bowl of soup. This is why I love Chickapea so much; it tastes great, you would never know it was only made from two only ingredients (chickpeas and lentils), and it is so good for you! It complemented my chicken noodle soup recipe very well. Not that I’m surprised! That stuff has super powers… my soup that is!
So whether you are looking to seek comfort in a heartwarming bowl of soup or you are feeling under the weather, cook up this recipe and enjoy!
Heartwarming Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 cup of carrots, diced
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 900ml boxes of chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 and 1/3 cup Chickapea Penne Pasta
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, add chicken and fill with water until it is about an inch over the chicken. Bring to boil. Reduce to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from pan. Shred with two forks and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add veggies, sprigs of thyme and bay leaf. Cook for 10 minutes. Stirring often.
- Remove sprigs of thyme. Pour in shredded chicken, broth, water, sea salt, pepper and dried oregano. Bring to slow simmer. Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add Chickapea Penne Pasta and continue to simmer until pasta is cooked mid-way through. Remove pot from heat and let set a few minutes before serving. Don’t worry about the pasta it will continue to cook as it stands.
Can’t get enough of Chickapea Pasta? I know – neither can I! Pick up another box and whip up these amazing recipes for Cheesy Taco Pasta and Tomato, Basil and Sausage Pasta Sauce. You won’t be disappointed!
Disclosure: I am a Chickapea Pasta brand ambassador. I receive special perks, product and compensation as a part of my affiliation with this program. All opinions are those of my own.