School has been back in session for just over a week, and I don’t know about you, but I have really struggled with getting dinner on the table.
I have had great intentions. I have meal planned. Grocery shopped. Gone the whole nine yards, but at the end of the day I’ve failed. The meals I planned being the first week back just weren’t practical. I had clearly forgotten about all that extra paperwork my children would come home with each night that would need to be completed. Not to mention the homework.
This week, I have planned a little more wisely. I am skipping my attempts at gourmet weeknight meals, and rather going with more comfort-style dishes. You know… Pasta. Show me a person who doesn’t dig a wholesome weeknight pasta dish, and on a busy weeknight CLASSICO makes whipping up an easy, delicious pasta dish possible.
Take this Spicy Chicken Rotini alla Vodka for instance. A dish that packs a little bit of heat and a lot of flavour with minimal cooking time making it a staple weeknight meal!
Spicy Chicken Rotini alla Vodka
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 410 ml jar Classico Spicy Tomato and Parmesan
- 375g box of tri-colour rotini pasta
- 1 red onion, chopped finely
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped finely
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced and halved
- 1 zucchini, chopped into quarters (optional)
- 1/4 cup vodka (or you can sub in chicken broth)
- 1/4 cup Philadelphia cream cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- In a large pot bring water to boil. Cook pasta, drain, rinse and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat add olive oil. Once your oil starts to shimmer, add chicken, onion and garlic to pan.
- Cook chicken until cooked through. About 4-5 minutes.
- Add peppers, zucchini, and mushrooms to pan. Cook for about 2-4 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add vodka to pan. Stir and let cook down for 1 minute.
- Stir in pasta sauce, brown sugar, basil, black pepper and sea salt. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in cream cheese until melted.
- Add pasta to pan. Stir until evenly coated. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
This recipe has been adapted from the Chicken Rigatoni recipe that was featured on the Kraft Canada website.
Weeknight cooking may not be all glitz and glory, but it can be yummy, as you can tell from the recipe I have just shared with you. For more delicious dinner inspiration check out these CLASSICO recipes.
Disclosure: I am a Kraft Canada What’s Cooking Contributor. I receive special perks and compensation as a part of my affiliation with this program. All opinions are those of my own.