These past 6 months have been a whirlwind. It truly is hard to believe that it was only 6 months ago that I was walking the halls at the hospital with my husband, Mom and Step Dad after beginning the induction process due to Cholestasis, and anxiously awaiting the safe arrival of my 4th child.
Now here we are 6 months later, and I think it is safe to say I have been blessed with the happiest, most easy going baby ever.
Sure he loves to be held close and worn during naps, but when he is awake and alert he loves to be put down to play and take in his surroundings. He is the complete opposite of his younger sister who needed my full attention 24/7, turning me into a homebody who couldn’t take care of chores, let alone cook.
Quite often you can find me wearing Oakley in the kitchen, and preparing lush meals that my family love to gobble up. I quite enjoy this time with him – my mini foodie in training.
As of late I have been trying to healthify (is that even a word?… I know it isn’t but we will roll with it) some of our favourite dishes. We are a family who loves pasta. It screams comfort food and love! And – who doesn’t love food made out of love?!
To try and eliminate the use of traditional pasta from our diet we have turned to new local company to fulfill our love for pasta – Chickapea Pasta. Chickapea offers a great alternative for traditional pasta, including being organic, gluten-free, vegan and non-GMO. It is also has no added sugar and is made in a nut-free facility. Not only that Chickapea Pasta has 23 grams of protein per serving and chock full of essential nutrients: complex carbs, thiamine, folate, niacin, magnesium, B vitamins, iron, zinc and antioxidants. There is no doubt that Chickapea is a brand that takes the everyday staple of pasta and turns it into a superfood.
Our favourite way to enjoy Chickapea Pasta is served with a layer of our favourite Tomato, Basil and Sausage Pasta Sauce served over top. This is one of those pasta sauces that once you try you won’t want to flock to purchase store bought again.
Yes, I know making your own homemade pasta sauce can seem intimidating, but it is actually quite easy and need I say, delicious!
Homemade Tomato, Basil & Sausage Pasta Sauce Recipe
- 4 mild Italian Sausage links, casings removed
- 7 Hot House tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Spanish onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced and cut into eights
- 1 bunch of basil, finely chopped (approx. 3/4 cup) or 1/3 cup basil paste
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tsbp all-purpose flour or Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Flour
- 1.5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp baking soda (this helps to neutralize the acidity of the sauce without compromising the flavour)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Chickapea Spiral Pasta (227g)
- Parmesan Cheese Shreds or Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds (optional)
- In a a large pan over medium heat add your olive oil, onions, garlic, zucchini, mushrooms and red pepper. Cook until onions are translucent and fragrant.
- Add chopped tomatoes, baking soda and spices.
- In a small frying pan, ground up your sausage. Cook through. Add 2 tablespoons flour. Stir until well coated. Transfer into sauce.
- Stir sauce well, cover and simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours. Stirring occasionally.
- Serve over Chickapea Pasta,
Want to try out this recipe for yourself? Amp up the wholesome goodness of the meal by picking up Chickapea Spiral Pasta from your nearest store! You won’t regret it!
Disclosure: I am a Chickapea Pasta brand ambassador. I have received products, special perks and compensation as a part of my affiliation with this campaign. All opinions and recipe creations are those of my own.