There are some weeks where I just have no motivation and turn to Chefs Plate to do my meal planning. And, there are other weeks where I am on the ball. I sit down on Sunday night and map out my meal plan for the week, jotting down a grocery list of all the key ingredients needed.
This week happens to be one of those weeks that I am very much on the ball.
I seem to have found a groove with being able to prepare dinner for my family of 6 while feeling minimal stress during the process. It is truly a great feeling I tell you.
Typically, I will prepare most of the ingredients for the nights dinner either in the morning or afternoon. When I do this I will either wear the baby or place him in his jumper. Whatever keeps him content, so I can get what I need to do done.
Depending on how the little guy is coping while I prepare dinner, I may find myself getting a little more creative and trying out a spin on one of our old favourite dishes. Today was one of those days that allowed for that freedom in the kitchen.
I was able to jazz up my old recipe for Chicken Quinoa Chili, and let me tell you the result was amazing. My eldest daughter was done dinner in a matter of minutes and begging for second helpings. That sort of thing is usually unheard of in our household. Got to love picky eaters!
Nothing screams out a winning recipe than when the kids eat it with no complaints. Rather my daughter just felt the need to remind my husband that Mommy is an amazing cook. Not him though. He apparently wins the worst prize when it comes to cooking. Kids say the darndest things, don’t they?!
So if you want to change-up your usual chili routine, try out this Slow Cooker Chicken Quinoa Chili and be knocked off your feet by the amazing flavour!
Slow Cooker Chicken Quinoa Chili Recipe
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 14 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 14 oz can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups frozen kernel corn
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3/4 cup Quinoa
- 900ml vegetable broth
- 640ml jar of tomato sauce
- 7oz can of chopped green chilies
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1.5 tbsp chili powder
- 1.5 tsp granulated sugar
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Add diced tomatoes, garlic, spices, peppers, clery, beans, corn, and vegetable broth to slow cooker. Give the mixture a good stir.
- Pour in quinoa. Stir.
- Top with chicken. Cook on low 6 hours.
- Prior to serving, remove chicken from slow cooker and shred. Return to slow cooker and mix well.
- Serve. Garnish with chopped avocado and shredded cheddar cheese.
Are you a fan of quinoa? You may dig these dishes: