Quite often I will joke that my kitchen resembles that of a soup kitchen. As I prepare a dinner for my husband and myself, I will often prepare something entirely different for my picky children.
Do I enjoy it? Nope! However, the struggle is real.
I would do just about anything to have my children eat what we eat on the regular. However, the battle just isn’t worth it. It matters more to me to know that my kids have full tummies. That being said, I do have a rule that they must at least try 10 bites of whatever I have made for dinner before they can turn their nose up at it and retreat to have something different for dinner.
A meal you can’t go wrong with in my house is pasta. Quite often when we are low on groceries, you will find key staples like, diced tomatoes, pasta and tomato soup in our pantry. It is funny how few pantry items you need to make a quick and easy delicious meal.
American Chop Suey is one of those meals. It also happens to be a meal my children love. In the words of my 7 year old daughter, “Mommy, bring the skillet here, so I can lick it clean. It’s that good.”
If you are looking for a 30 minute weeknight meal to add to your dinner rotation, try out this one. You won’t be disappointed.
American Chop Suey Recipe
- 2 cups dry, uncooked macaroni
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 spanish onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 tbsp minced fresh garlic
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 10 oz can tomato soup
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Cook macaroni until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat brown ground beef with onions and minced garlic. Drain off excess fat.
- Add in diced tomatoes, tomato soup, and spices. Simmer for 5 minutes,
- Stir in cooked pasta. Let stand 3 to 5 minutes before serving.
Love a quick and easy meal? You will love this recipe for Quick and Easy Vegetable Lo Mein.