If there is one meal that my children could live and breath, it’s tacos! They would eat tacos every night of the week if they could. Sadly, their dreams of a nightly taco dinner have not become a reality. However that doesn’t mean that I haven’t found ways to incorporate their love for a mouthwatering taco into other meals, like pasta for instance.
Take the flavours of taco seasoning, cumin, kernel corn, black beans and shell pasta, and you have the recipe for a quick and easy 30 minute weeknight dinner that the kids will devour!
Move over taco Tuesday, you just got a scrumptious makeover!
Taco Pasta Skillet Recipe
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 packet mild taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp onion power or Club House Onion Plus seasoning
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 540ml can diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4.5 cups medium shell pasta
- Bring pot of water to boil. Cook shells until al dente. Drain and set aside, reserving 1/2 cup of water.
- While pasta is cooking, in a skillet cook ground beef and onion. Cook until beef is browned and onion is translucent. Drain off fat.
- Add sugar, spices, taco seasoning and reserved water. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until mixture thickens.
- Add tomatoes, corn and black beans. Simmer for 5 minutes before adding cottage cheese and pasta.
- Stir to evenly coat. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and let stand 5 minutes before serving. This will allow the pasta to soak up some of excess liquids from the pan.
If you love Mexican inspired meals, you may also enjoy our recipes for Slow Cooker Mexican Feista Chicken Quinoa Chili, Slow Cooker Taco Soup and Beef Enchiladas with Homemade Enchilada Sauce.