“Mommy, I don’t feel good!” is a saying I know all too well these days. Most commonly uttered by my 5 year old son. The one who seems to have his immune system compromised the most as of late.
So what’s a Mom to do when her munchkin doesn’t feel well? Snuggle the wee munchkin, of course, but also whip up a batch of her ever-so-popular Slow Cooker Herbed Chicken with Rice Soup.
I came to love Herbed Chicken with Rice Soup when I was a youngster. However, when I was served it back then the soup came from a can. To me, I found the soup from a can delightful, but now that I am older and wiser… I realize that soup can taste 100 times better when homemade.
In order to coerce my son into attending school yesterday — because heaven knows he was far too hyper to be unwell enough to stay home — I promised him that when he came home he would be greeted with a heartwarming bowl of my Herbed Chicken with Rice Soup. I have never seen a kid agree to go to school so fast and without hesitation. Ha.
Slow Cooker Herbed Chicken with Rice Soup Recipe
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups water
- 900ml box low sodium chicken broth
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tsp lemon and herb seasoning
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup parboiled or converted long grain white rice
- 3 cups chicken broth (or if you like a chunkier soup – 2 cups)
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker, except the rice and remaining 3 cups of chicken broth.
- Cook on low for 5 hours.
- After 5 hours, remove the chicken from slow cooker and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker with rice and additional cups of chicken broth. Continue to cook on low for 1.5 to 2 hours longer.
- Serve alongside garlic toast.
If you love a good slow cooker soup recipe, you might also enjoy our recipe for Slow Cooker Beef Barley Soup.