Pasta and produce have been my soulmates throughout this pregnancy. They are literally the only things that settle well for me.
Over the past few months my family has consumed it’s fair share of pasta. Pasta where meat has been pretty much lacking, and if the pasta dish did contain meat it would be so minced that I could pretend it wasn’t there or pick over it. Meat and I are certainly not agreeing as of late and that’s ok.
Yesterday while perusing Instagram, I noticed one of the people I follow had posted this delicious looking photo of mac and cheese. Only it was a healthy version!
Mac and cheese is something I would eat around the clock if I could. Too bad my waistline wouldn’t be too pleased about that. So when I saw that there was a way that I could still consume mac and cheese, but make it a bit more healthy… I was game.
This macaroni and cheese features butternut squash light creamy cheese sauce that is just divine. My kids gobbled up this pasta dish and went back for more. They usually aren’t fans of traditional mac and cheese because they find them too cheesy, but not this particular recipe. It offers a savoury, lightly sweet taste with a subtle hint of cheese that leaves your mouth swooning for another bite. Seriously, I swear I almost had a mouthgasm eating this delicious meal!
If you like mac and cheese, I encourage you to give this recipe a try!
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 2.5 cups uncooked macaroni
- 5 cups butternut squash, skinned and diced into small cubes
- 1 small white onion, sliced into thin rings
- 900ml box chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 cup old white cheddar cheese, shredded (if you aren’t a huge fan of cheese, cut this back to 1 cup of shredded cheese)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Club House Onion Plus seasoning (optional, but highly recommended)
- Cook your pasta until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- In a small skillet melt butter and caramelize onion over low to medium low heat. This process will take 15-20 minutes.
- While your onions are caramelizing, bring broth and water to boil. Add butternut squash and boil for 7 minutes.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of broth before draining butternut squash.
- To a blender add the squash, onion, milk, spices, and broth. Blend to liquefy.
- Add the butternut squash sauce to the macaroni, top with the shredded cheese and stir until cheese has melted.
- Let stand 3 to 5 minutes, and serve.
This recipe is an adapted version one a recipe featured on a Pinch of Yum.
Macaroni and Cheese lovers! You will also want to check out the following recipes:
Aged Parmesan Mac and Cheese
Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
Oven Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Oven Baked Macaroni and Cheese (Take 2)
Chili Cheeseburger Mac and Cheese
Cheeseburger Mac and Cheese