The season is upon us. You know the one where we all bid adieu to all things Pumpkin and say hello to all things Peppermint.
If you are anything like me, you were over the moon when Starbucks released their festive drinks this week. The only thing that wasn’t happy was my pocket book.
Good thing my closest Starbucks is about 20 to 25 minute drive away. The one thing that deters me from venturing to the coffee shop daily.
Well… that…. And,the fact that I am more than capable of making my own version of a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha at home.
While my recipe may not taste exactly like the Starbucks version, it is damn near close enough. I’d say if it satisfies the craving it does the job, wouldn’t you?!?
For this reason, I decided it would be wrong of me to keep my Peppermint Mocha recipe to myself. I should let you in on it too!
It’s like a warm hug in a mug! At least, I think so.
For the Peppermint Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
For the Peppermint Mocha:
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp water
- 1.5 tbsp peppermint simple syrup
- 1/2 cup hot espresso
- 1.5 cups steamed milk
For Peppermint Simple Syrup:
- On stove top over medium-low heat, add sugar and water to saucepan. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add 1/4 tsp peppermint extract.
- Bring syrup to simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cool and store in air tight container in fridge.
For Peppermint Mocha:
- Prepare half a cup of espresso. Set aside.
- Steam 1.5 cups of milk. Set aside.
- In a large mug, add 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder with 3 tablespoons of water. Stir until it creates a smooth paste.
- Add in 1.5 tablespoons of peppermint simple syrup and espresso. Give the liquids a good stir.
- Top with steamed milk. As well as, some whipped cream, if you fancy.