A day full of school drop-off’s / pick-up’s, running errands, hitting the gym and doctor’s appointments can make it pretty impossible to get dinner on the table.
Don’t sweat it!
On those days when it feels like you are running around like a chicken with your head cut-off, I have a quick and easy weeknight dinner recipe that you can pull together in no time with minimal effort.
This Baked Ziti Recipe is one of my family’s favourites. It is packed full of flavour and cheesy goodness. Making it the ultimate comfort food and pick-me-up on those busy days when you just can’t seem to catch a break.
The Best Ever Baked Ziti Recipe
- 640ml bottle of pasta sauce
- 454g box Penne Lisce or Ziti
- 300g Ricotta Cheese
- 3 cups Mozzarella or Italiano Shredded Cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Shredded Cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic (or 4 cloves garlic, minced)
- 2 tbsp zesty Italian dressing
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning (or Club House Italiano Seasoning)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl combine, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp Italian seasoning, Parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and eggs. Mix well. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to boil, cook pasta until al dente and drain.
- While pasta is boiling in a separate skillet, saute onions and garlic in a bit of extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil until fragrant and translucent. Add sauce, 1 tsp Italian seasoning, 1/4 tsp black pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Stir and set aside.
- Add a small layer of sauce to bottom of 9×13 casserole dish.
- Top with have of the ziti or penne lisce. You can give the pasta a wee bit of a stir to coat it in the sauce in the bottom of the casserole, if you wish.
- Top with the cheese and spread to even out.
- Add another spoonful or two of sauce over the cheese (leaving about 1 cup remaining).
- Top with remaining pasta followed by the remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining 2 cups of mozzarella cheese over the pasta.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
If you like this recipe, you may also like my recipes for:
Cheeseburger Mac & Cheese
Aged Cheddar and Parmesan Mac ‘n Cheese
Twisted Bacon Mac ‘n Cheese