Rewind to the beginning of December. I see an icon pop up. It’s a Facebook notification. The outline for the month of December has just been posted to the Gay Lea Mom Ambassadors group. Great, I think to myself.
Keen to get a head start on this month’s post, I read over the outline. The focus of this month is sour cream. Perfect. I know lots of fabulous recipes that use sour cream. I can make up a casserole of Schwarties.
And then it hit me…
This month was suppose to focus on how to incorporate sour cream into desserts and other decadent dishes of the sort. Insert panic.
Could I recall any great desserts that called for sour cream as an ingredient? Of course not.
After doing much thinking and a bit of research, I decided to whip up coffee cake muffins with an eggnog rum glaze. We had to include eggnog somehow… After all – Christmas is only a week away!
Coffee Cake Muffins
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Gay Lea Unsalted Butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup Gay Lea Gold Premium Sour Cream
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
Eggnog Rum Glaze
- 1.5 cups icing sugar
- 1 tbsp dark rum
- 3 tbsp eggnog
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter, sugar and eggs. Beat on medium-high.
- Mix in sour cream and vanilla.
- Add in the flour, granulated white sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix on high. The batter may seem a bit stiff. This is fine.
- Using a knife, marble the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture into the batter.
- Spoon batter into lined muffin pan. Bake for 18-22 minutes. Use a toothpick to test the “doneness” of the muffins.
- Place muffins on a cooling rack, and once they have fully cooled mix together the icing sugar, eggnog and rum in a small bowl. Drizzle the glaze over your cool muffins and let set.
** This recipes uses Gay Lea Gold Premium Sour Cream, which happens to be Gay Lea’s thickest and richest sour cream. Don’t fret it – if you cannot get your hands on this particular sour cream, as you can sub-in a regular cup of sour cream in it’s place.
Visit the Gay Lea website for access to great recipes and information on the products. Gay Lea also sends out monthly newsletters featuring great content, tips and coupons!
To celebrate all of the delicious ways you can infuse sour cream into fun recipes, Gay Lea is giving away a KitchenAid Stand Mixer (ARV $399.99), and 1-year of free Gay Lea products.
* Readers may enter across as many blogs as they want, however they may alone win on a single blog. Giveaway is open to Canadian residents only (excluding Quebec). Giveaway ends December 31, 2014. Winner(s) please allow 4-6 weeks for shipment of prizing.
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Campaign with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with Mom Central Canada.