Fall is in the air! And so are fall allergies, new routines, extra prep, and germs! Just as we are working on getting our families into the new routines of a new school year, we also find ourselves facing new challenges.
With the cooler temperatures peek-a-booing their way in and out of each weekly forecast, it can certainly be hard to know just how to dress our little ones for the weather. I find myself layering my eldest daughter every morning before she heads out the door. However with the drastic temperature shifts and back to school, it has been quite hard to avoid the germs.
School has barely been back in session for 3 weeks, and we have already seen one viral infection work it’s way through our home. Throw in seasonal allergies to the mix, and you can bet we have had some restless nights as of late.
While I battled my course of the viral infection, I learned of a natural way to soothe a sore throat; cut a fresh clove of garlic in half , place each halve in your mouth, and suck on the garlic cloves for 15 minutes at a time as if it were a throat lozenge. Garlic has antibacterial and antiseptic properties along with other medicinal properties that can help treat sore throats and kill any bacteria that can cause strep.
In addition to the use of garlic, I also have Orange Naturals Red Raspberry Leaf, Oil of Oregano and Cough + Cold to thank for soothing some of the symptoms that came along with the virus. I like to think that these natural remedies lessened the life of the cold, and nursed us back to good health faster.
While we may not be able to prevent future colds viruses, but we have taken measures to help boost our immune systems through healthy-living strategies, such as:
- Starting each day off with an Orange Naturals ND Shake. ND Shakes are nutrient dense and formulated to meet the unique needs of each member of your family. ND Shakes aren’t just for everybody, but for your body!
- Maintaining a balanced diet high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins.
- Taking a daily multi-vitamin.
- Drinking 2 to 3 liters of water a day.
- Participating in daily physical activity. Did you know children should participate in 60 minutes of vigorous or moderate physical activity each day?
- Getting adequate sleep.
These simple lifestyle changes have contributed in boosting our metabolisms, providing us with higher energy levels and as result we have been in better spirits. And – who doesn’t love a healthy, happy home?!?
Looking for a yummy, satisfying after school treat?
4-Minute Chocolate ND Shake Mug Cake
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1.5 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp Chocolate ND Shake Powder
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- handful of chocolate chips (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a large mug. Combine well. Top batter with chocolate chips.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Remove mug from microwave and use a toothpick to test for doneness. If the toothpick does not come out clean, nuke for increments of 10 seconds at a time until ready.
- Let cool. Enjoy.
To learn more about Orange Naturals, visit them on their Facebook page and blog. Additionally you can also sign-up to receive the Naturally At Home newsletter; a newsletter full of health tips, tricks, recipes, and of course, real people! Just like you!
Disclosure: I am part of the Orange Naturals Mom Ambassador Program and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.