The lunch hour is quite possibly one of my favourite times of day. Not only is it nap time, but it is also a time when I can generally enjoy a hot meal.
Today I had a serious hankering for a tuna melt. Honestly if I had all the ingredients in my house I probably would have had a tuna melt for breakfast. Alas I didn’t. After sipping my morning coffee, I loaded up all the kids in the truck and off we went to the grocery store.
It is a miracle we arrived at the grocery store alive. A huge spider decided it would be fun to stir up some ghoulish fun on the drive over to the store when he dropped in through the sunroof and dangled by my face. I swear he was taunting me as the fear overcame me and I anxiously tried to figure out how the heck I was going to rid of the dang thing before I lost sight of him. Monday may have tried to play me with this cruel prank, but I showed that spider who was boss and we eventually safely arrived at the grocery store. Big sigh of relief.
In all of this excitement, I worked up quite an appetite and you can bet that I whipped up that tuna melt immediately upon arriving home. It was much deserved after that debacle, and was quite possibly the best dang lunch ever.
The Ultimate Tuna Melt
(Recipe adpated from the recipe for Toasted Tuna Melts featured on Kraft Canada)
- 1 can of flaked tuna, drained
- 2 tbsp Philadelphia Herb & Garlic Cream Cheese
- 2 tbsp Miracle Whip with Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp dill paste
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped finely (optional)
- 2 slices Kraft Cracker Barrel Medium Cheddar Slices
- 6 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 whole wheat bagel
- Lightly toast bagel. Set aside.
- Combine Miracle Whip and cream cheese. Mix in dill, celery, red onion and tuna. Combine well.
- Place 1/4 to 1/3 of the tuna salad mixture on each half of the toasted bagel.
- Top with cheddar slices and tomatoes. Broil for a couple of minutes until the cheese has melted and is bubbly. Serve.
For other inspiring lunch ideas and fun simple lunch box solutions, visit Kraft Canada.
This time of year can be a busy one for many parents as we prepare to head into another school year. Kraft understands this and has partnered with Rubbermaid® offering consumers $10 off in saving coupons on participating Kraft products when purchasing a Rubbermaid ® Lunchblox. With Lunchblox making lunch has never been easier!
Disclosure: I am a Kraft Canada What’s Cooking Contributor. I receive special perks, access to special events and compensation for my affiliation with this program. All opinions noted are those of my own and not Kraft Canada.