I have been on a salad and smoothie kick as of late. I find I have a tendency to go through this phase each year as the temperature starts to creep upward, and Spring season is in full bloom.
This past weekend we celebrated Victoria Day. We spent a ton of time outdoors just enjoying being as a family. Between our nightly barbecued dinners and enjoying the ambiance of the neighbours fireworks as we sat around our fire, it is safe to say we had an amazing weekend. One that we certainly can’t complain about. We walked away from it with memories that will last a lifetime! What could be better?
To accompany our barbecued meals, I whipped up a quick pasta salad. I used Kraft Canada’s recipe for the Creamy Southwestern BBQ Pasta Salad as a guideline, and let my creative juices flow. Creating a dish that was nothing short of spectacular!
Fiesta Chicken Pasta Salad
- 1 box (375 g) tri colour rotini pasta
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cooked and shredded)
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups corn
- 2 tsps honey
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 to 3/4 bottle of Calorie Wise Kraft Ranchers Choice Dressing (to your desired creaminess)
- 2 cups Kraft TeX Mex Shredded Cheese
- Boil pasta until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- Chop up your veggies. Set aside.
- Add the cheese, vegetables, beans, shredded chicken and pasta to a large salad bowl.
- In a small bowl combine your spices, honey and Kraft Ranchers Choice Dressing. Combine well.
- Drizzle the dressing over the pasta salad. Mix well.
- Refrigerate for at minimum 1 hour before serving.
Have you tried a new salad recipe recently that you have grown to love? I would love to hear about it! While you are at it check out Kraft Canada’s Salad Centre for many inspiring and delicious ideas to add to your meal roster this BBQ season.
Disclosure: I am a Kraft Canada What’s Cooking Contributor. Compensation has been received in exchange for this post. All opinions are those of my own.