Wow – what do you know… This is the first time I have been able to sit down and work without a baby in arms in weeks! While I love the overabundance of baby snuggles that I receive on a daily basis. This is a treat. I may have an ice cold coffee in hand that has been warmed up over a dozen times to sip on as I pound away on the keyboard, but heck my hands are free for the few spare moments that I have. It’s kind of nice.
My 6-week old has been fighting a cold for the past few days. Saturday I spent a good chunk of the day on the couch, as the wee girl comfort nursed to her hearts content. It is always so disheartening when the little ones are unwell. Rather than cooking up the Easter feast that I had wanted to on Saturday, I wound up whipping up a soup. Just a simple quick meal that could be thrown in the crock pot.
I had originally planned to make a 7-can soup recipe that I found while surfing Pinterest. However the recipe called for ranch-style beans. A brand of bean that I could not find anywhere. So I improvised and made my own homemade version of ranch-style beans.
Well – the kids gobbled up the soup and asked for seconds, so that has got to tell you something!
Turkey Cowboy Soup
- 1.5lb ground turkey
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp of each: dried mustard, salt, black pepper, and paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground oregano
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 2 cans pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 3 (540ml) cans Garden Minestrone
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 28oz can diced tomatoes (low sodium)
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- On the stove top brown the ground turkey until cooked through. Drain.
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Set slow cooker to low and cook 4-5 hours.