February is Heart Month!

Did you know that Heart Disease is one of the leading causes of death in Canada? It is! What many people don’t realize is that their heart can be aging faster than them. Several factors influence your heart age, including blood pressure levels, cholesterol, and the presence of risk factors like smoking. This is important to know because research shows knowing the cardiovascular age of your heart will lead to better heart health management.

While heart disease and stroke is not something that my immediate family has a history of. I can say that over the years that I have watched and cared for my Great Grandmother, an individual who had suffered from numerous strokes during her lifetime. For this reason staying on top of my own cardiovascular health is very important to me.

In February I make a point to sit down and complete a Heart Age Calculator; an online tool that helps Canadians calculate their cardiovascular age and assess their risk of heart attack, stroke or cardiovascular disease within the next 10 years by answering simple lifestyle questions.

Cardio Age I use the results from the Heart Age Calculator as a means to make informed decisions and take the appropriate measures to work towards continually improving my overall health.

Cardiovascular Risk The Heart Age Calculator is a scientifically validated online tool that provides you with a personalized heart age and cardiovascular risk profile as recommended by the Canadian Cardiovascular Society Guidelines

Based on my results, I have learned that my risk of cardiovascular disease over the next ten years is 0.9%. I also have no modifiable cardiovascular risk factors.

Modifiable Risk Factors Although I have no real need to modify my lifestyle, I know that I can take steps to ensure that I my cardiovascular health remains manageable. I will continue to take control of my cardiovascular health by leading an active lifestyle, monitoring my blood pressure, and regulating my cholesterol.

Have you completed the Heart Age Calculator? The Canadian Cardiovascular Society recommends calculating your cardiovascular age and knowing your cardiovascular risk profile to improve management of blood pressure and blood lipids. Research shows that understanding and knowing the cardiovascular age of your heart will lead to better health management.

If you haven’t completed the Heart Age Calculator, I encourage you to visit Shoppers Drug Mart.ca and complete the Heart Age Calculator.  It’s time to take action. It’s time to get Heart Healthy!

Disclosure – Although this post has been sponsored by Shoppers Drug Mart Inc., the opinions and language are all my own, and in no way do they reflect the views, opinions or positions of Shoppers Drug Mart Inc. or its affiliates or licensees. Shoppers Drug Mart Inc. makes no representation as to accuracy, completeness, suitability or validity of any information within this blog post and will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information or for any losses, injuries or damages arising from its display or use.

14 Comments on February is Heart Month. Take Action. Be Heart Healthy!

1. Jody
    February 6, 2014 at 9:52 am (4 years ago)

My heart age was 35.7… a bit younger than my age so that’s good. But it’s a reminder that I could do better. My family has a history of heart disease so it makes it even more important for me to take care of myself!!!

2. Shari G
    February 6, 2014 at 9:55 am (4 years ago)

YAY that you have a healthy heart! This is one of those things that is uber important to me, and love that you are helping to spread the word about taking care of your heart!

3. SoberJulie
    February 6, 2014 at 9:57 am (4 years ago)

I took the test and was actually pleasantly surprised that I fell just above my age. I’m going to continue my healthy lifestyle changes and hopefully I can get below.

4. Gingermommy
    February 6, 2014 at 9:57 am (4 years ago)

Such a great tool and handy resource. I hope more people check it out to find their heart age

5. MultiTestingMom
    February 6, 2014 at 10:27 am (4 years ago)

My heart age is a bit lower than my actual age too, but I KNOW that I could do more to get it down even lower! You set such an amazing example for your children.

This tool is very easy to use!

6. mommy oustide
    February 6, 2014 at 10:47 am (4 years ago)

Although I don’t know my biological family history I watched both of my grandfathers suffer with heart disease when I was young and they both eventually passed away because of it. There are some factors, like genetics, that we can’t control but there are also a lot of things we can do to make our hearts healthier!

7. Brandi
    February 6, 2014 at 10:59 am (4 years ago)

This is so great to help bring information and awareness to heart disease. So easy to take the test and know where you’re at 🙂

8. jodi shaw
    February 6, 2014 at 1:20 pm (4 years ago)

Glad your heart age was healthy. It’s so important to check out this tool, the resources alone are worth it! Could save your life!

9. Stacey
    February 6, 2014 at 2:36 pm (4 years ago)

Happy to see your heart is healthy, especially with the little bambino. I had some issues with my heart during pregnancy and with the family history it was so good to see my heart is younger than I really am too. Regardless I am making healthier choices for our family because of it.

10. Tammy @inRdream
    February 6, 2014 at 3:00 pm (4 years ago)

Oh to be 29 again! Oh wait my heart is 🙂 I love how quick and painless that test was. Armed with knowledge we all have the tools we need to teach our children and keep healthy!

11. Ladena
    February 6, 2014 at 3:48 pm (4 years ago)

I love all the information the Heart Health Calculator gives you! My heart is younger than my age too! Yeah ME!

12. coffeewithjulie
    February 6, 2014 at 5:37 pm (4 years ago)

My heart age = 39. I’m 42, so that result is okay but I am really motivated to keep my “ticker” healthy and make some lifestyle changes.

13. Angie@Echoes of Laughter
    February 7, 2014 at 6:13 pm (4 years ago)

It’s so important to be aware of risk factors! Heart health is really something to be aware of and I am so glad that there is such an easy tool to use!