Everyone knows how much I love comfort food. Chocolate, cheesecake, poutine, just about anything that comes out of my slow cooker… you name it!
Being that the chilly weather is now here for the next few months, I have gotten in the grind of using my slow cooker quite often. It has it’s perks! Dinner is prepped and ready to cook in the morning, and I don’t have to go through the day procrastinating about what to make for dinner. The drawback… being home all day surrounded by the savoury, delicious aroma that floods the house while having to wait (im)patiently for the dinner hour to arrive.
Being one of Kraft Canada‘s new What’s Cooking contributors, I was thrilled to see that one of the themes for the month of November was slow cooker or casserole dishes. Like when I say excited… I mean I was the over the moon excited, bouncing off the walls kind of excited.
Maybe it is the pregnancy and cravings speaking, but I sure do love the dinner hour lately! Especially when it involves consuming a big ol’ bowl of comfort food.
Based on my meal plan for the week, I had trouble deciding which recipe I would share with you. I wound up settling on Beef Stroganoff.
Beef Stroganoff has been a meal that has been served numerous times over the years. It was my Mom’s go-to dinner when I was child. Mind you she made the boxed kind, which in my opinion is just not the same. Homemade is the best way to serve up this dish! Not to mention, it is a dish that takes minimal time to prepare and is very easy to make.
As someone who used to be overwhelmed when I would look at a recipe and see a long list of ingredients… I can assure you this recipe is nothing like that. It isn’t mind numbing or hard to wrap your head around the idea of where you would even get started in the prep. Yes, it is that easy! Especially once the slow cooker is brought into the equation.
The recipe I am about to share with you is a combination of the recipe I pulled from the Kraft Canada What’s Cooking slow cooker recipe index, and my own personal recipe that I have been turning to for years. The end result is guaranteed to tantalize your taste buds and satisfy your hunger!
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- 2lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 cup of fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup 25% less sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup of white wine (optional – you could substitute this with chicken broth)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Philadelphia Herb & Garlic Cooking Creme
- 1 bag of egg noodles
- Brown the ground beef with onions, and salt and pepper. DO NOT drain the beef once cooked.
- Add 4 tablespoons of flour to the beef. Combine with meat and onions until evenly coated.
- Transfer meat to slow cooker.
- Add chopped mushrooms, mustard, garlic, dried parsley, beef broth, and wine. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-5 hours.
- Prior to serving, bring pot of water to boil. Cook egg noodles until al dente. Drain.
- Add egg noodles and Philadelphia Herb & Garlic Cooking Cream to slow cooker, and combine until evenly coated.
- If need be you can set you slow cooker to warm at this point. I like to do this for 5 minutes or so to let the pasta collect all the flavours of the sauce. OR – If you are ready to eat don’t hesitate to dish up and dig in!
Visit the Kraft Canada What’s Cooking website to see the original recipe of Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff that was featured.
Disclosure: I am a Kraft Canada What’s Cooking contributor. As a part of my participation as a contributor I do received special perks. All opinions expressed on this blog are those of my own.