Summer is less than a month away. If you’re like me you are daydreaming of everything summer and planning out how you plan to spend your summer holidays.
There are so many options of family-friendly activities in the beautiful province of Ontario. This makes it quite easy to plan summer vacations at home. Staycations are starting to become a trend. Generally speaking they are inexpensive. Not only that you have the pleasure of being able to stay relatively close to home.
During my childhood, my parents spent a lot of time planning Summer day trips for my brother and I. Quite often our annual Summer itinerary would be much of the same:
- a trip to the cottage (Muskoka or Grand Bend),
- a trip to Center Island in Toronto,
- a trip to the beach, and
- a few day stay in Niagara Falls.
“Happiness is” was always my favourite place to hit up in Niagara Falls. For those who aren’t familiar with the jingle. Happiness is Marineland. Yep – you got it! I loved Marineland.
Niagara Falls has been and continues to be my favourite place to visit for a staycation with the family. I currently live in a small town that borders on cottage country, so it nice to escape that a few times a year and discover all that Niagara Falls has to offer. It is the place like no where else as they say.
We live approximately 2.5 hours North East of Niagara Falls. Being that we have a 2 and 4 year old, it is imperative that we always plan out an itinerary and game plan before we hit the road. Some great tips include:
- Pack lots of snacks, juice boxes and/or water.
- If you have a tablet – download some of your child’s favourite games or electronic books to keep them occupied in the car.
- If your children are older you can also plan some fun in-car games you can play. “I Spy” and the “Licence Plate Game” are among some of my favourites.
- Plan out pit stops. It’s important to know where and how often you will have the opportunity to pull over in case of an urgent toddler potty break.
- Upon arriving at your destination try to have an outline of how you plan to make the most of your visit. What attractions do you want to see? Where do you plan to enjoy meals? And so on.
During our last visit to Niagara Falls
our game plan for the weekend was thrown aloof when Mother Nature decided to be a tad bit hormonal on Mother’s Day. Her mood swing brought with it high winds, rain, snow, hail and occasional breaks of sun.
Falls Avenue Resort has many great options for dining, including:
- Hard Rock Cafe,
- Rainforest Cafe.
- Rainbow Room by Massimo Capra, and
- Windows by Jamie Kennedy.
Not only that the options of things to do while staying at Falls Avenue Resort are endless. You are certainly not bound to the resort during your stay, but in times when the weather conditions are poor you can visit:
We certainly made the most of our time at Fallsview Indoor Waterpark during our last visit to Niagara.
Had the weather been more cooperative we had also planned to take the children on a horse drawn carriage ride along the Niagara Falls boardwalk, and on the Sky Wheel.
We tend to visit the Falls a few times a year, so we will definitely be taking advantage of all the tourist attractions during our next visit. Probably sometime later this Summer. My Mother-in-Law is hankering to take the munchkins to Marineland.
In April, my husband and I also spent time in Niagara Falls. This particular trip was spent sans kiddies, as we celebrated our wedding anniversary. I’m going to write a separate post regarding that particular visit, but I just wanted to say that if you are planning a trip as a couple to Niagara Falls that there is also the option to plan wine tours. There are many fabulous wineries and micro-breweries to discover in Niagara-on-the-Lake.
With the Summer quickly approaching I bet you would love the opportunity to win a staycation at Falls Avenue Resort in Niagara Falls, ON. Here’s your chance!
The winner will receive:
- Fallsview Family Suite at the Sheraton on the Falls
- Four passes to the Fallsview Indoor Waterpark
- Celebration dinner at the Rainforest Cafe
To enter – CLICK HERE!
Contest closes June 3. 5 winners will be drawn (1 per ambassador)
Feel free to connect with Falls Avenue Resort and Fallsview Indoor Waterpark on Facebook to keep up-to-date on all the latest scoop!
So tell me… If you were to plan a staycation, what would be on your itinerary?
Disclosure – I’m a PTPA & Fall Avenue Resort Ambassador. As a part of my participation in this campaign I have received some form of compensation. All views are those of my own.