November has been designated international prematurity awareness month in order to assist with raising funds and awareness for prematurity.

Over 13 million babies are born prematurely world-wide each year and of those over 1 million do not make it. Of those preemies who do survive, many suffer long-term health effects. Being the mother of a 29 week preemie, I know all too well the struggle these tiny babies go through.   If you want to help I have some ideas for you!

1. If you are a parent of a preemie, share your story online through blogging or on a pregnancy related forum.

2. Share with Family and Friends about International Prematurity Awareness Month.

3. Puchase preemie sized clothing and donate to your local NICU.

4. Donate your used baby blankets to your local NICU.

5. Knit hats and other items in preemie sizes to donate to the NICU.

6. Organise your workplace to volunteer for a “Home for Dinner” night through The Ronald McDonald House. (To spend an evening cooking for the families staying at your local Ronald McDonald House.)

7. Nursing? Have you considered Donating Breastmilk? Alberta is home to the Calgary Mother’s Milk Bank, the very first Breastmilk Bank in Canada.

8. Donate Blood to the Red Cross.

9. Donate Funds to The Ronald McDonald House or The Calgary Mother’s Milk Bank.

10. Donate to or Volunteer with The Linden Fund.

————————————————————————————————————

About the Author

Elizabeth is an IT Professional and a Family Review Blogger at Frugal Mom Eh. She enjoys writing about a variety of topics including parenting and frugal living. When not writing she enjoys playing with her daughter ‘Keira’, painting and reading.

7 Comments on November is International Prematurity Awareness {Guest Post}

1. Paula
    November 13, 2012 at 2:21 am (5 years ago)

After losing two pregnancies, my daughter was induced a month early. It took her a long time to catch up on her feeding and breathing skills. It was a very scary time for our family!

2. Cheryl Kirkness
    November 14, 2012 at 1:33 pm (5 years ago)

I had no idea about the milk bank. What an excellent idea!

3. mamawee
    November 14, 2012 at 1:49 pm (5 years ago)

thanks for the tips…..I wish I could have donated my breastmilk but Ontario didn’t have a milk bank….and shipping was just too much $$ for me….

4. Brandi Yee
    November 14, 2012 at 5:34 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve heard a lot of people using the milk banks and I had never known about them before. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

5. Manager to Mom
    November 15, 2012 at 3:39 am (5 years ago)

Thanks for this post. I just read several of the stories from the prematurity awareness hop and they brought tears to my eyes. I wasn’t aware of all the bloggers who’ve been through this and I admire the strength it must have taken to share their stories.

6. NPC23
    November 15, 2012 at 4:04 am (5 years ago)

These are great tips and definitely a topic of spreading awareness. Great post!

7. Jodi Shaw
    November 15, 2012 at 8:40 am (5 years ago)

I lost one pregnancy a little girl and then almost lost our baby boy as he was also early and born with complications. These are great tips and it’s nice to see awareness growing for those who don’t realize how actually common this is.