The weekly food shop is something that you can’t do without.

Image Source: Flickr

Some spending can be stopped, such as expensive TV contracts or catalogue shopping, however; everyone needs to eat! So while you do need to buy food regularly, try to make sure that you’re still saving money where you can.

• Shop around. Shops vary depending on where you are in the country. Some discount supermarkets may look cheap, but if the foods you buy aren’t there, or you get distracted by a bargain, then it may not be the best place for your family. Try visiting a few supermarkets or even fresh food markets or online retailers to see where your family saves the most. Try online discount codes from Netvouchercodes.co.uk to save even more money.
  • Set a realistic budget. Know what you need and stick to it. A bit of variation makes life interesting, but buying perishables for more meals than you can eat in a week, even if it looks good and is cheap, just won’t save the pennies. Try to include other expenses that may not be weekly, such as toilet rolls, nappies and cleaning products. You may even find that once a month you do an additional shop for these products, as the cheapest place, even for name brands, may not be the cheapest for food.
  • Cook at home. Yes, this may mean that your food shop creeps up slightly; however, by preparing the food yourself you’ll save money on eating out. Consider cutting down on takeaways and restaurants and making some of those meals yourself. You’ll gain a new skill and not only save money but probably end up feeling healthier too!

So stick to these guidelines, and you never know, you may even begin to enjoy the challenge of seeing your food bill go down each week!

8 Comments on Frugal Guide to Food Shopping

1. Anonymous
    November 27, 2012 at 6:13 am (5 years ago)

It’s fantastic that you are getting thoughts from this piece of writing as well as from our argument made at this place.
    Here is my webpage : free iphone 5

2. flowerchild
    November 27, 2012 at 1:01 pm (5 years ago)

Eating out is very expensive. Every time we eat out, I wish we didn’t. With a family of four ,it costs way to much.

3. Mom vs. the boys
    November 27, 2012 at 2:06 pm (5 years ago)

we hardly ever eat out so we save a lot of money there but with a family of 5 our bill still creeps up on us, we have to reign it in every once in a while! lol

4. Kathryn Lavallee
    November 27, 2012 at 2:34 pm (5 years ago)

I am all for cooking at home; best way to save a lot of money easily!

5. Shayna Murray
    November 27, 2012 at 2:42 pm (5 years ago)

I watch flyers very carefully. My favorite it the Sobey’s 2 for 1 deals that happen on a regular basis. I’m very careful though to not buy things we really don’t need or will use just because they are a great deal! That’s why we rarely shop at Costco. Not because I don’t like Costco but I just find, for us, that buying a lot of things in just large quantities is just wasteful because we get sick of if before it’s done.

6. Carmela
    November 27, 2012 at 4:24 pm (5 years ago)

I watch the flyers all the time. I price match mostly but there’s things like fresh produce that I only buy at an Asian market. Their prices can’t be beat and they’re SO fresh!

7. Tammy inRdream
    November 27, 2012 at 7:32 pm (5 years ago)

we are huge foodies and eating out is a love of ours. I know it cost so much, but its our entertainment. We have learned to cut costs else where to make room for our love of dining out!