What was meant to be a very hectic weekend for my family and I wound up being quite low key.We wound up all coming down with nasty cold that left us spending numerous days cozied up in our PJs and watching a countless number of movies. I can’t complain. While being sick is the pits, it’s been nice to spend quality time with the family.

This week’s grocery list went a little over budget. With the threat of the remnants of Hurricane Sandy making landfall in Ontario bringing with it strong winds and heavy rainfall, I just couldn’t not being prepared… especially with two little one living under my roof. I stocked up on non-perishable food items, bottled water, candles and batteries. Odds are the Frankenstorm is being hyped up just as much as Snowmageddon was. However you can never be too sure.

This week’s forecast is full of rain. Rain always puts me in the mood for comfort food, so that’s what this week’s meal plan comprises of. We’ll be feasting on beef enchiladas, tacos, biryani chicken (I meant to make this last week, but never got around to it), and honey sesame chicken.

What are some of your favorite comfort foods?

13 Comments on Menu Plan Monday | Week of October 29th

1. Torviewtoronto
    October 30, 2012 at 11:32 am (5 years ago)

rain puts us on comfort food too

2. Christine McN
    October 30, 2012 at 12:13 pm (5 years ago)

Seriously, Nicole…Can I come to your house for dinner this week??? LOL! No. Seriously.

😉 xoxoox

3. Cheryl Kirkness
    October 30, 2012 at 12:19 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve never tried enchiladas. They sound & look delicious though.

4. Kelly @ City Mom
    October 30, 2012 at 1:17 pm (5 years ago)

Mmm those sound delish! We prepped for Sandy too. Kinda blew the budget! 😉

5. Lina Zussino
    October 30, 2012 at 1:22 pm (5 years ago)

Good reason to stay home for sure. We stockpile so we have lots of spare food around our home in case something happens and obviously to save money. What we don’t have is a leg of lamb in the freezer which is one of my favourite comfort foods cooked in the slower cooker!

6. Paula Schuck
    October 30, 2012 at 1:34 pm (5 years ago)

Beef enchiladas sound so good. I have never yet made them. Maybe tonight. Thanks for the ideas and yes I love the names they come up with Frankenstorm. Ha!

7. ~ The Country Mouse ~
    October 30, 2012 at 2:14 pm (5 years ago)

Hope you are feeling better. I think winter hibernation is starting to set in for me, and comfort food is def. on the menu.

8. Brandi Yee
    October 30, 2012 at 2:22 pm (5 years ago)

Perfect weather for comfort food! I think the beef enchiladas sound yummy!! I should make some this week as well 🙂

9. Jodi Shaw
    October 30, 2012 at 5:34 pm (5 years ago)

Sounds yummy I’m eating at your house

10. Julia Wooster
    October 30, 2012 at 11:04 pm (5 years ago)

Love enchiladas – we bought some corn tortillas last Thursday at El Tropical on Kerr St., Oakville to go with a green chile I wanted to make with leftover pork (of course I had to go to El Tropical for the tomatillos and cactus for the chile too). For about a couple of bucks you get a bag of 3 dozen fresh tortillas so I made a hot sauce to use up some of the tortillas with mexican eggs (eggs scrambled in hot sauce). On Sunday evening I had quite a few tortillas leftover, but too dry to roll into tortillas, so I made a stacked enchilada casserole with sausage, mushrooms and Montery Jack cheese. It was an experiment that was really successful. I ended up with something that was like a cross between a tamale and lasagne. I think I’m Mexicaned-out for a while 🙂

Hope you and your family are feeling better.

11. Julia Wooster
    October 30, 2012 at 11:05 pm (5 years ago)

oops, should have said “too dry to roll into enchiladas” not “tortillas”

12. Journeys of The Zoo
    October 31, 2012 at 12:33 am (5 years ago)

Sorry to hear that your family was sick. Hope it’s just a 24 horu thing.

Comfort food for me is anything that comes out of a box and that I don’t have to cook!

Thankfully Sandy has come and gone from around here. Hope you didn’t get hit too hard.

Besos, Sarah
    Zookeeper at Journeys of The Zoo
    journeysofthezoo at hotmail dot com

13. NPC
    October 31, 2012 at 5:58 pm (5 years ago)

I’d have to say comfort food is bread pudding. Anything that’s warm and tasty. 😀