Today has proven to be interesting. Interesting in the oh my gosh… this can’t be happening to me  kind of way.

A little under 3 weeks ago we moved into our new build. Everything appeared fine with the pre-delivery inspection. We tested everything. We looked over everything. The house appeared immaculate. The things that would normal come as an upgrade option with other builders came standard with ours. The house is beautiful.

The waterfall in my kitchen this morning not so attractive. It took away from the design and appeal just a smidge.

Last week, my hubby found a leak in our basement. We called the builder and they really couldn’t tell where it was coming from. They chalked it up to rain water seeping through the brick and running into the basement. However they were going to have to run exterior water tests to confirm the exact cause. Simple enough, right?! So I pulled all the boxes of walls and moved them to a central area until the matter could be fixed.

This morning was like any morning. I served the kids breakfast, we watched movies, had a dance party and then I went for my morning shower while the kids played with blocks in my room. The kids were anxious for us to get going to the grocery store, so I rushed around tirelessly following my shower to try and pull the bags together before heading out the door. While throwing snacks together, I heard my daughter bawling in the other room. I peek around the corner to see her in our kitchen sitting in a puddle of water. My first instinct was that she had spilled her water and slipped. Far from it. There wasn’t a sippy cup in site. Oh how I wish it had been. The whole ceiling above my kitchen pantry had bubbled, ruptured and was spewing water into my kitchen. Awesome.

Immediately, I got on the phone with our builder. They have been amazing about the ordeal. They’ve spent the majority of the day working on our house to locate the problem, which has been centralized to a damaged shower pan. The shower the master bath is going to have to be ripped out and replaced. The drywall and insulation in the kitchen is going to have to be ripped out and replaced. The insulation into the basement will also have to be replaced.

Needless to say, I’m upset. I love my new house, but I just wish this had never happened. We’re going to be living within construction on the inside of our home for the next little while. Fun times with two little kids.
At least the problem turned up now and not weeks, months or years from now.

Just wish it was all a bad dream… but what can ya do! Shit happens.

10 Comments on New Build, Leaks and Tarion… Oh My!

1. Mama Ash
    August 27, 2012 at 2:47 pm (5 years ago)

Oh no!!!!!!
    I feel for you. So not cool for a new home.
    I guess they don’t make ’em like they used to…
    🙁
    Time to call Mike Holmes!

2. Tammy inRdream
    August 27, 2012 at 6:14 pm (5 years ago)

OMGosh! I hope they are bending over backwards for you?

These are professionals, stuff like this shouldn’t happen. Once oK, but more then 3 times! I am so sorry you are experiencing this, this is suppose to be a happy time. I expected stuff like this to happen when we moved in our previously owned house (and it did) but brand new… NO WAY! I hope they fix it it up for you and take into consideration the upset they have put on your family. I agree with Erica, call Mike Holmes! 🙂

3. Brandi Yee
    August 27, 2012 at 9:59 pm (5 years ago)

Oh no…that’s no good at all, especially with a new home 🙁 I agree with the others…Mike Holmes!! hehe

4. Canadian Dad
    August 28, 2012 at 12:25 am (5 years ago)

Sorry to hear about your troubles, especially in a new house. That exact thing happened to my neighbour’s 2 weeks ago and I could see how hard it was for them. Just remember that eventually it will be fixed and your house will be yours again!

5. Julia
    August 28, 2012 at 1:13 am (5 years ago)

Oh no!!! That really sucks. Hopefully it all gets patched up in no time.

6. ~ The Country Mouse ~
    August 28, 2012 at 1:25 am (5 years ago)

This is really too bad and it must seem like a bad nightmare. Hopefully, there will not be any other issues and you are compensated for your inconvenience. Good luck!

7. Christine McN
    August 28, 2012 at 1:25 am (5 years ago)

Eeeek! 🙁 Sorry to hear about that! I hope things get fixed soon! xo

8. Nolie
    August 28, 2012 at 1:40 am (5 years ago)

Oh no. Hope it is fixed fast and you get your house back to something fun to live in and enjoy.

9. Insane Mamacita
    August 28, 2012 at 1:59 am (5 years ago)

*hugs* Hope everything gets fixed quickly but CORRECTLY for you.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on New Build, Leaks and Tarion… Oh My!