The day is finally here. The one I’ve been awaiting with great anticipation. CLOSING DAY!

In May when we listed our house, I was on pins and needles. I was so anxious to move out of our house. It was a home that never-ever felt like home. I wasn’t fond of the neighbourhood. Aside from all of that our house was just far too small for our family of 4.

The months flew by after we sold and my feelings never changed.

We moved out on August 3rd and a few days after moving in to our new abode I went back to the old house to clean up. It felt so eerie. So cold. So uncomfortable. I didn’t like being there. It wasn’t the closure, I’d hoped for.

Our pesky buyers and their ridiculous requests found me back at the house on Wednesday. Apparently our showers didn’t work. Funny that – they worked fine for me. I think fate just had it decided that I needed one last visit. I spent some time revisiting each room of the house and reflecting on all of our memories. I’ll be completely honest when I say… it was so hard to leave knowing I’ll never step foot in the house again.

I hope the new owners enjoy my Bleeding Hearts bush. I planted the bush in memory of my sister and angel babies a few years ago. I went through the emotions trying to decide whether I should take it or leave it for the new owners to enjoy. In the end, I decided to leave the bush behind and share in the beauty. The new owners may never understand or know the significance behind the bush, but deep down I know that if my sister or little angels were still here with us on Earth that they would have touched the lives of many (and they have)… so it only seems logical to just leave the bush behind.

As one door closes another one opens.

Today is the day we bid adieu to the first home my husband and I ever owned together. The home where we started our family. The home where our son was born. It’s a bittersweet day. We’ve built so many memories together in this home that have solidified the foundation for our continuing journey.

8 Comments on Goodbye 1st House!

1. Mom vs. the boys
    August 30, 2012 at 12:48 pm (5 years ago)

wow this must be so difficult, even if it wasn’t perfect for you there are still a million memories!

2. Torviewtoronto
    August 30, 2012 at 1:23 pm (5 years ago)

It is a bittersweet day indeed. When we moved from our first home we started our family we felt the same, but you will have lots of memories to revisit and make new ones.

3. mamawee
    August 30, 2012 at 1:52 pm (5 years ago)

I love my house…we have no plans on moving anytime soon; I can’t imagine the emotions that go with it. You will make so many wonderful new memories in your new home though…

4. Brandi Yee
    August 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm (5 years ago)

It can be so bittersweet selling a home, but the best thing is, you take your memories everywhere you go in life 🙂 And you get to create new ones in a new home.

5. Shayna
    August 30, 2012 at 3:58 pm (5 years ago)

I remember that day well, the last day I set foot in my house. Bitter sweet too. Coincidentally I also left two beautiful bleeding hearts in the yard for the new owners to enjoy. I thought about taking them but I know they don’t transplant well and I’d rather let someone else enjoy them then risk them not making the move.

August 30, 2012 at 4:40 pm (5 years ago)

Big hugs to you and your family girly! Moving is never easy, especially with the memories you’ve had in your home, I know it can’t be easy, but just keep thinking about the memories you’ll be starting and making in your new home. ((HUGS))

7. ~Shannon~
    August 30, 2012 at 11:46 pm (5 years ago)

I left a lilac bush at our first home… I often wonder if it is still there. I never want to take a peek in case it is not there! I think I know a bit of how you feel.

8. Canadian Dad
    August 31, 2012 at 4:59 am (5 years ago)

What a beautiful story. You are going to learn to love your new home and I’m sure you’ll make a million new memories to carry with you.