Okay… Can I just take a moment out here to say how proud I’ve been feeling over the past two days?!? Seriously… the feeling is overwhelming.

Image Source: eHow Mom

We introduced potty training to our (almost) 3 year old daughter (again) yesterday. We had tried previously on several occasions and it just was never the right time. Nothing says right now is either. However with the progress we’ve made over the past day and a half, I have high hopes that this will be it.

Cadence is doing so well. This whole potty training business is going much easier than I anticipated. I’m sure if helps that Momma is not feeling as a frazzled and Cadence is feeling fairly confident.

Yesterday we headed straight for underwear, only breaking out diapers during sleepy time. Cadence had one accident… in my closet… but it’s all good. I think she needs to experience accidents in order to learn from them. To learn that it’s a feeling she doesn’t like. It seems to have worked because now she’s telling me whenever she needs to use the potty. So far today we haven’t encountered any accidents… I’ve also learned that she prefers going in the privacy of the bathroom. Bonus!

The only thing we need to work on is getting her over the hump of having that constant urge and feeling that she needs to go. “Mommy, I need to go potty”. 15 minutes later. “Mommy, I all done.” Empty toilet. Repeat. I’m sure over the next few days she’ll get a better idea of how to listen to her body and start understanding when she really needs to use the potty.

For now, I’m just elated by the progress. When did my baby get to be such a big girl?!? Wow. It amazes me.

Proud Momma, out.

8 Comments on Proud Momma Moments

1. OrangeHeroMama
    June 6, 2012 at 7:05 pm (5 years ago)

Just before their 3rd birthdays was the magic age for both my daughters! Good luck! 🙂

• Nicole
      June 6, 2012 at 7:07 pm (5 years ago)

Oh really?! That’s awesome! Just what I need to hear!! 🙂

2. Wendy S
    June 7, 2012 at 12:27 pm (5 years ago)

If you want her to really have the feeling that she needs to go, then keep up her liquid intake. Lots of water! You might not want to have to leave the house when doing this but it works.

And I’m not sure there is a magic age. My oldest daughter (now 7) we had to beg and plead to go on the toilet at age 3 1/2 because she was starting school in September (turned 4 in December of that year). The youngest one turned 2 and practically potty trained herself. She hates being dirty or wet so it was instinct for her to stay clean and dry.

3. Tammy
    June 7, 2012 at 12:52 pm (5 years ago)

YAY!!! We R potty training too! I am feeling proud of DS2 as well. I love milestones! Right before DS4, 3rd birthday he was trained as well, it seems to be a magically 3.

WAY TO GO Candace!

4. AnnMarie Brown
    June 7, 2012 at 1:33 pm (5 years ago)

Potty training is so hit and miss glad you are off to a good start this time around!

5. mamawee
    June 7, 2012 at 2:10 pm (5 years ago)

My oldest we had a difficult time with. I tried 3 times or so and it never worked – I knew that I couldn’t get frustrated or turn it into a power struggle – he had no interest.

Then one day I decided to try again, and he got it….it was magic. He was 3.5 (I am really hoping my youngest is out of them by just over 2 though….)

June 7, 2012 at 2:47 pm (5 years ago)

That’s great news, I hope she keeps it up. Potty training can go either way. When DD7 started it was because I had DS4 and her both in diapers, but the time she was 2 1/2 she was all set, the same for DS4. It just takes lots of time, patience and clean up, but once they have it, it’s so worth it. Good luck girly!

7. Insane Mamacita
    June 8, 2012 at 2:07 am (5 years ago)

I am so not ready to venture into this territory again. I don’t want my “baby” to be all grown up. LOL!