This week has been trying, yet very exciting. We started potty training our (almost) 3 year old daughter on Tuesday. It was a decision made on a whim. We had tried potty training on prior numerous occasions, but it was always the wrong time. Family vacations, winter and birthdays always seemed to get in the way.

Summer is now here and life isn’t as hectic. Life in fact seems calmer. Bizarre… given that we’re moving in a couple of months. You’d think my head would be in a complete tizzy…

Bedtime lately has involved us reading a book to my daughter titled “I’m a Big Sister”. The book shares the joys of sisterhood. It really defines the inspirational role that a big sister takes on. I think this book is what really intrigued my daughter and impacted her decision to want to give potty training a try.

In the past 5 days, Cadence has only had 2 accidents. One of which happened during a thunderstorm. A crack of thunder startled her and BLAMO! pee on my kitchen floor. Poor babe! She was so upset.

Tonight we took her out for a celebratory dinner and followed up the meal by taking a drive out to our new build. Upon driving away from the house she announced she had to pee. Without even thinking we turned the car around and back into the new house we went with the potty in hand. We set up the potty in the “main floor bathroom”. Within minutes she was squealing in excitement. She had just made her first tinkle in the new house. I really should have taken a picture… of course that wasn’t on my mind at the time.

I’m really amazed at the progress we’ve made in the span of 5 days. This potty training business is easier than I ever anticipated.

I’m certainly no expert, but here are some tips I’ve learned along the way…

1. Be Patient. No child has ever gone away to college and not been potty trained. Don’t force the issue just because everyone you know around you with a child the same age as yours is potty trained. Your child WILL train when THEY are ready. Pressuring them is only going to cause setbacks.

2. Don’t Set Schedules. Whatever you do don’t schedule when your child has to pee. Let them discover it for themselves. On the first day of potty training we visited the potty every hour or so. We slowly moved away from this as each day passed. It’s important that your child learns to listen to their body to discover and understand when it’s time to go potty.

3. Accidents WILL happen. Your child will have accidents. Period.

4. Stock up on cleaners. See above.

5. DON’T Stress. Stress won’t help anyone. Potty training sure can be a frustrating time for Mom and Dad, but it’s an equally as (if not a more) trying time for your child. Be there for them. Reassure them. You’ll get through this together.

Are you a parent who has experienced potty training a child? What are some tips you’d share with parents who are about to start potty training?

9 Comments on Potty Training Successes & Tips

1. Mommy Moment
    June 11, 2012 at 2:14 pm (5 years ago)

I’m glad to hear that it is going so well. I was very lucky with easy potty training for my girls too. My oldest was trained at 25 months – took only 2 days, and my youngest trained herself at 18 months. I was SO, SO Shocked!
    I know many of my friends did not have the same easy experience, and I just want to say, every child is different…if you child takes longer, it is ok! We should be supportive of each other 🙂

2. Brandy @insanemamacita
    June 11, 2012 at 2:22 pm (5 years ago)

Oh gosh, I feel like I did this so long ago with my first that I harder remember the tricks we used. One thing I was told to try was to put some toys on the back of the toilet and face the child that way so he/she is occupied if they are going to be sitting for a while. We tried it but it didn’t work. One thing that did work was the sticker chart. One for pee, two for pooh. LOL!

3. Annie Brown
    June 11, 2012 at 2:32 pm (5 years ago)

Great tips for potty training!

4. Ashley
    June 11, 2012 at 2:34 pm (5 years ago)

We have successfully watched both our girls be potty trained. After having two kids I am a firm believer in the fact that they train themselves, we’re just facilitators. I agree about don’t stress over it! Your stress will float down to your child and can cause major problems and some kids take time. Our oldest is an emotional little being, and from a tiny age learned that if she felt out of control in a situation she could hold her bodily functions for abnormal amounts of time to be “in control” (trust me when I say you can NOT force a kid to pee if they don’t want to). We learned that being calm about her potty functions was the best way to help her relax!

5. Kathryn Lavallee
    June 11, 2012 at 2:40 pm (5 years ago)

These tips are very true and honestly I think it’s better to wait a little longer than to rush it and have a child that isn’t really ready using the potty. Our boys were both around two and a half when I potty trained them and they basically had the concept mastered in a day. WAY less stressful than trying to have them potty-trained by two and having to help them with everything!

June 11, 2012 at 3:17 pm (5 years ago)

That’s great news! Kids are on their own schedule and there really isn’t any need to stress. I don’t know any high school kids that aren’t potty trained so it does eventually happen lol

7. Bonnie Way
    June 11, 2012 at 4:32 pm (5 years ago)

Great tips! Thanks. My second daughter just turned two so I’ve been thinking about approaching potty training with her… she’s aware of the potty (she calls it “my potty”) but doesn’t use it. My first potty trained fairly easily around age two, but she wore cloth diapers and my second wears disposables (our cloth diapers wore out) so my second seems to care much less about when she’s wet or going pee. We’ll see…

8. Christine
    June 11, 2012 at 6:20 pm (5 years ago)

Great tips, my friend! Little One seemed to be almost trained last year and then for some reason (I think it’s because we went to Haliburton with her cousins), she regressed. I suppose she wasn’t in her own environment, she was excited to be with her cousins, etc. Anyway, she refused to go to the toilet and wanted to wear training pants. Fine. Then around Christmas, I tried again and she was completely toilet trained in a week! When they’re ready, they’re ready 🙂

9. Bewildered Bug
    June 12, 2012 at 1:14 am (5 years ago)

I’m a non-Mommy and got a dose of potty training this weekend. Luckily it didn’t result in an accident – I’m scared of this period of child rearing to be frank – I think I’d freak out and die! My friend is potty training her twins and we were by their grandma for their birthday. All of a sudden one got up, stripped off and RAN to the washroom…..then I got the potty training explanation. Thank God he made it!