I always feel this overwhelming sensation when I talk about my Nannie (Great Grandma). I’m so blessed to have her in my life and to have gotten to know her as well as I have over the years. From the age of 4 until the age of 11, I spent summer after summer out in the boonies with her. I skipped summer camp and opted to head straight to her place. There was never much to do. No TV or any of that. I was just content to bond, bake and learn from her life experiences.

This past Friday, my Nannie celebrated her 91st birthday.

We spent 6 hours (round trip) driving on Saturday to head up to her nursing home and celebrate with her. I always get so excited when I get to visit my Nannie. This occasion was no different.

The moment we walked into the nursing home, my Nannie started to cry. She had been expecting my Nana and Mom… she had no idea that my children and I were always tagging along. She was so overjoyed.

This visit… while it was nice was also very emotionally draining. I’m not going to delve into too many details out of respect of the privacy for my family… but if you follow me on Twitter you’ve probably seen me talking about my Nana’s (Nannie’s daughter) battle with Lou Gehrig’s Disease. I’m going to leave it at that as I’m getting misty-eyed. Between my Nannie’s roommate passing away last week and on top of everything else, while we all shared in many laughs… there were also many tears.

I’m just grateful that we got to have all 5 generations in one room again!

Happy birthday to one of the most inspiring women I know!

8 Comments on Long Weekend, Birthdays and Road Trips!

1. Tara P.
    May 24, 2012 at 2:32 am (5 years ago)

That sounds like a great weekend! That was nice of you guys to surprise her. How fun! I didn’t know you spent summers with her. I’m sure those are some great memories.

2. mamawee
    May 24, 2012 at 11:15 am (5 years ago)

That is so special! I had wonderful relationships with my grandparents, but unfortunately they have all passed away!

What treasured memories!

3. Lisa Marie Fletcher
    May 24, 2012 at 11:18 am (5 years ago)

Aww what a special event. I’m sure she was more blessed that you all realize. I miss my Grandmas. 🙁 My DH’s grandma is turning 100 in July! So crazy!

May 24, 2012 at 11:44 am (5 years ago)

That’s awesome and you and your family are truly blessed to still have her in your life. It’s amazing to have so many generations in the same room, this made me miss my grandma. What a wonderful weekend you guys had! <3

5. Kelly @ City Mom
    May 24, 2012 at 12:08 pm (5 years ago)

Aww this is so wonderful! What a life affirming post! I’m so glad for you (and your Nannie) that you’ve been able to spend such valuable time together!

6. Christine
    May 24, 2012 at 12:08 pm (5 years ago)

Ohhh! This is so fabulous! This post made me cry. I just lost my grandma last week. She would have been 92 in August. I’m so glad you were able to celebrate with her. So wonderful an occasion! xo

7. Rachel
    May 24, 2012 at 1:24 pm (5 years ago)

Oh your Nannie is adorable and your kids are so lucky to be able to spend time with their great nannie.

8. Canadian Dad
    May 25, 2012 at 3:30 am (5 years ago)

It’s great that you have such a close relationship with your family! My wife’s Nanny turns 99 this summer, it’s so crazy to think about!