It’s been a very trying few weeks when it comes to eating meals. My youngest has become a very picky eater. Not willing to try anything. You put a plate of food in front of him and he immediately turns up his nose. Almost as if he thinks you’re trying to poison him.

His picky eating habits started while we were away in Cancun. I’ll hand it to him… the food in another country can be quite different in comparison to what your used to consuming at home. Upon returning home, his unwillingness to eat meals continued. In attempt to break him from those habits I’m cooking meals this week that I know both my children love and enjoy! If this approach doesn’t work… then I don’t know what will.

Our menu plan for this week includes:

– Tater Tot Casesrole
Lasagna
– Southwest Chicken and Rice
Enchilada Layer Bake
Taco Soup

Have a great week!

14 Comments on Menu Plan Monday: Picky Eaters

1. Tara P.
    April 16, 2012 at 2:30 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks for making me feel like I’m not alone. Nora has become VERY picky over the past few months. She’ll eat grilled cheese, peanut butter & jelly. She does like bananas & strawberries, which is great. She’ll eat cheerios, goldfish, any snack type of foods, oh and hot dogs for sure, but any other dinner, FORGET IT! Last night she turned her nose up at chicken and Mac & cheese. She usually loves mac & cheese!!!! So she ate a piece of cheese for dinner and she was fine. She used to eat pizza, pasta,and now NOPE! When she was a baby she ate everything under the sun. It’s very trying and it can be frustrating!!!! But I’m trying to take one day at a time. I wish you luck with your menu this week. It sounds delicious!!! I hope your kids feel the same way. 🙂

April 16, 2012 at 3:27 pm (5 years ago)

You’re not alone with the picky eater – we have one here too!

So do you eat all of those foods with your family and still manage to lose weight?!

• Nicole
      April 16, 2012 at 3:35 pm (5 years ago)

I do. Mind you we traditionally won’t eat all of this in a week. With the higher calorie meals I prepare I tend to serve myself a smaller portion with a side of salad. I also eat lighter meals over the cross of the day. Lots of fruit, veggies, green monster shakes and water.

I am not to have a meal plan like this each week. The Southwest Chicken is a weight watchers recipe, which I’m hoping my little will take to since he loves black beans and rice.

• Nicole
      April 16, 2012 at 3:35 pm (5 years ago)

*over the course of the day, not cross of the day. Lol.

3. mamawee
    April 17, 2012 at 1:54 pm (5 years ago)

sounds like a good meal plan – we love lasagna over here!

April 17, 2012 at 2:12 pm (5 years ago)

P.S. I hope you know that I wasn’t trying to critcize your meal plan at all, hon! I was just wanting to know how you eat that and still lost weight 🙂 Share your trick!!! This is what I have been doing too – trying to eat what the family eats, but less of it and load up on my raw veggies while I prepare dinner so I’m not so hungry!

• Nicole
      April 18, 2012 at 6:26 pm (5 years ago)

Oh I know that you weren’t criticizing! 🙂

5. Little Miss Kate
    April 17, 2012 at 2:30 pm (5 years ago)

We had lasagna last week, and it was soooo good, I always try to make extra for lunches

6. Simply Stacie
    April 17, 2012 at 3:15 pm (5 years ago)

My oldest daughter is also a picky eater. It’s been a struggle to get her to eat and try different foods. Checking out your recipe for Taco soup!!

7. Did you know Canada
    April 17, 2012 at 6:28 pm (5 years ago)

I always wanted to make Taco Soup, I’m going to have to look into this one, thanks!

8. Canadian Dad
    April 18, 2012 at 2:55 am (5 years ago)

You’d get away with Tater Tots in this house but that’s about it! LOL. My son likes pizza and …… well, just pizza. Apparently they get over it, if that’s of any reassurance.

• Nicole
      April 18, 2012 at 6:26 pm (5 years ago)

Would you believe the Tater Tot casserole induced a temper tantrum?! It was seriously like my toddlers world was ending… all over friggin’ Tater Tots.

9. Positively Pampered Patty
    April 24, 2012 at 3:23 am (5 years ago)

Totally normal for kids to get the picky eater syndrome. I think I even get it, where I just want something different and delicious.