Since last Summer, I’ve been mildly hinting to my husband that we could really use a new garage door. The current door is made of a hollow wood. It has clearly been warping, molding and cracking with age. The garage was not in good shape. Hell – it never was. That’s besides the point though.

My husband blew it off…

… and blew it off…

We’re now a month away from listing our house and sure enough he decides it’s time to start working on it. He was insistent that he could cut the warped wood out and replace it. I just kept quiet, knowing full well it wasn’t going to be that easy. When this man sets his mind to something, he’s committed… There’s no stopping him.

He bought all the supplies and finally started working on the project over the Easter weekend. He cut out the wood. A hole large enough to conveniently pass a beer or two through to him. As he continued to work, I’d continue to check in. Eventually I decided to leave him to it… until… I heard a bang! My heart raced. I ran to see if he was ok; terrified that he may be injured.

He was ok!

Just VERY stuck!

The garage door literally collapsed and crumbled, trapping him on the inside for hours. Honest to goodness, I thought he’d have to hatchet his way out!

He conveniently broke free just in time to enjoy a turkey dinner with all the fixings!

It’s safe to say that I’m having the last laugh with this one! We’ll be getting a new garage door within the next couple of weeks.

15 Comments on The Garage vs The Husband – Who Will Win?

1. mamawee
    April 11, 2012 at 12:01 pm (6 years ago)

My husband will tackle most projects at our house, but the garage door isn’t one of them….he would have willingly called someone to replace the door. Good luck

• Canadian Dad
      April 11, 2012 at 6:32 pm (6 years ago)

Mmmhmm, you were saying? There was a pleasant finish to that right???

• Nicole
      April 11, 2012 at 7:11 pm (6 years ago)

I think what Amanda was saying is that husbands are total awesomesauce! 😉

2. Tammy
    April 11, 2012 at 12:40 pm (6 years ago)

Oh my sounds event full! Glad he is OK and made your turkey dinner!

3. Kelly @ City Mom
    April 11, 2012 at 12:49 pm (6 years ago)

Oh my gosh! Just another piece of proof that the wives are always right! ha ha.

April 11, 2012 at 12:59 pm (6 years ago)

Men! My husband is the same way, I think they all are, it’s good to hear that he wasn’t hurt and yay for the new garage door! 🙂

5. Brandy InsaneMamacita
    April 11, 2012 at 1:42 pm (6 years ago)

Haha! That is too funny. Sadly, my husband is not handy at all and something like this would happen.

6. Mom vs. the boys
    April 11, 2012 at 3:19 pm (6 years ago)

ha! that is really funny! not for your hubby maybe but the rest of us for sure! love the colour of your door

7. Kathleen (aka Callista)
    April 11, 2012 at 5:16 pm (6 years ago)

haha! Glad he’s okay but totally with you on husbands being stubborn!

8. Canadian Dad
    April 11, 2012 at 6:35 pm (6 years ago)

I’m pretty sure it’s obvious what has happened here. You must have slammed a door or done something that shook that door free. It is usually never the man’s fault, especially in a home improvement project.

Also, you can never keep a man from his turkey dinner with all the fixins!

• Nicole
      April 11, 2012 at 7:14 pm (6 years ago)

We had a consultant from a garage door company out last night. It appears what happened here is that the previous owner never installed our garage door opener properly. A crucial piece to the unit was missing. So will the hubs was working away; the shaking and banging on the door caused the change to come lose, whipping him in the face and the garage door to crumble. He’s lucky he wasn’t injured. I give him all the credit in the world for trying. Either way we still would have ended up having to get a new door, but I do appreciate any effort he exerted in trying to do it himself.

Hey, and I was a good little wifey! I made sure he always had a full beer on hand while he worked on the project. 😉