Potty training has been a complete hit and miss in our house. My dear daughter started showing interest in October. She peed on the potty and did the potty dance. It was a short lived celebration. She wasn’t ready to take the the plunge. She had anxieties over the potty. She didn’t want to wear underwear. It just wasn’t the ideal situation. I was okay with that. She was only 27 months at the time. Still quite young.

We planned to reintroduce potty training again in mid- April after we returned from vacation. Cadence decided she had other plans. Out of nowhere this week Cadence started insisting I pull out the potty and get Two Little Hands Potty Time loaded up in the DVD player. What was I going to say ‘no, you have to wait!’? How horrible of a Mom would I be to not follow her cues. Sure it doesn’t fit into my plans, but who cares!?! Cadence does and she’s ready! We have to flow with it. Literally.

I’ve never potty trained a child before. I’m feeling a tad bit stressed out about it. There are so many different approaches. I don’t even know where to begin. Right now Cadence insists on a diaper with underwear worn over top… would I not be giving her the wrong idea if I let her dress in that manner?

Also, how long should I let her sit on the potty before giving up? She could sit on the potty for hours on end. Seriously. She’ll tell me she has to pee. We pull out the potty and she sits… and sits… and sits. Hours could roll by. The moment she puts the diaper back on, she’ll pee.

Clearly, I’m putting too much thought into all of this.

26 Comments on Potty Training… Maybe?

1. Anonymous
    March 8, 2012 at 2:14 am (5 years ago)

Have you tried running the water while she is on it? It works for William, not so much Nathaniel. I let them sit on it as long as they want too. We read books, play patty cake etc.

Tamara

• Nicole
      March 10, 2012 at 1:28 pm (5 years ago)

I haven’t tried water. I’m going to though. Hopefully it works. Thanks so much for all your suggestions and advice, Tamara. I really admire your parenting knowledge and skills. You’re a great Mom!

March 8, 2012 at 1:39 pm (5 years ago)

Get ready to bunker down in the bathroom hon 😉 They can sit for what seems like FOREVER!!! But, that is awesome that she is showing signs all by herself!

After sitting for 10 minutes with no show, I would usually say “In 1 more minute, if you don’t have any pee or poo, we are going to get off the potty.” OR you could read a story and by the end of the story, if there is nothing, it is time to get off!

What will be difficult is the vacation! It’s hard to stay consistent.

I am a firm believer or “when they are ready, they are ready” camp!

• Nicole
      March 10, 2012 at 1:28 pm (5 years ago)

If you never hear from me again it’s because I’m in the loo. Hahaha.

3. Kelly @ City Mom
    March 8, 2012 at 1:41 pm (5 years ago)

Oh this is a tough one! I think following her cues is a good thing for sure & perhaps this is just her way of testing the waters. If I were you I’d just go with it for now especially b/c your vacation could interrupt all the hardwork you put in now. Good luck! It will all work out…it always does 🙂

4. Mom vs. the boys
    March 8, 2012 at 2:03 pm (5 years ago)

my 2.5 year old decided to train right before christmas, it went really great but over the holidays we had lots of company and didn’t want him running around in underwear (if you put pants over the underwear he would pee, just undies or naked, fully trained) and we travelled a lot so he needed diapers. well it ruined everything. after the holidays he just wasn’t interested anymore and we are back to full time diapers. grrrr

5. Annie
    March 8, 2012 at 2:22 pm (5 years ago)

I do the water trick with many of my DC kids it works like a charm.

• Nicole
      March 10, 2012 at 1:27 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve had a few people make a suggestion of using water. I’ll have to give it a try. 🙂

March 8, 2012 at 4:29 pm (5 years ago)

Yeah, water worked here too. Still sometimes they just like to sit there 🙂 Makes them feel important! Men never get over it. At least my hubby seems to like to just in the can lol

7. Gingermommy
    March 8, 2012 at 4:55 pm (5 years ago)

for my youngest, it was exciting and a big game at first. It got annoying running to the potty every 5 minutes for nothing. eventually they catch on and it gets easier. Some parents like to give rewards for going potty. I learned to watch for her cues and I would time it. if she had a drink she would need to go potty 15 minutes later

8. Whispered Inspirations
    March 8, 2012 at 5:26 pm (5 years ago)

My daughter did the same thing! I wrote a post about getting started, she did well and then regressed. I’m going to start her soon. I did gather tips from my first DD who did marvelous and trained in a week! This time around, not so lucky.

9. Mommy Moment
    March 8, 2012 at 6:02 pm (5 years ago)

I think parents often stress out too much about this, I mean it is rare for a child to end up going to school not being potty trained. Good Luck, and don’t stress too much!

• Nicole
      March 10, 2012 at 1:26 pm (5 years ago)

Haha! I told myself the same thing when my son wouldn’t sleep through the night and had to cosleep with me. Odds are he’ll sleep in his own bed and through the night eventually… it’s not like he’ll go to college crying for his Momma at night. Goodness I would hope not. Haha!

Clearly I’ve been over thinking this whole potty training thing. It’s been a few days and starting to set in. It really isn’t all that bad.

10. Brandy @ Insane Mamacita
    March 8, 2012 at 6:44 pm (5 years ago)

Potty training was tough here and not looking forward to it with our youngest. But I have something I will email you that others swear by. I have yet to read it myself. With our oldest we did the reward thing with stickers. He had a sticker chart for both items. LOL!

March 8, 2012 at 7:39 pm (5 years ago)

Best part is, she wants to do it. That’s what seemed hard for me with my little one at first. But once you get a system and routine down you’ll do fine! 🙂

• Nicole
      March 10, 2012 at 1:25 pm (5 years ago)

You know what… you’re totally right. It is hard that she is taking the initiative. I wish she could remain my little tot forever, but she’s now blossoming into a little girl. She has her own agenda and potty training is it. We’ve been flowing with it and things are starting to smooth out.

12. Callista
    March 8, 2012 at 8:02 pm (5 years ago)

Potty training is a process, it doesn’t usually happen quickly. When you aren’t used to sitting on a perch to pee, your body won’t naturally do it. So peeing as soon as she gets up and has diaper on is normal. The fact that she wants to sit is good. Make sure you put her on potty when she wakes up from sleep and 15-20 after drinking as she is more likely to produce then.

I wouldn’t put underwear over diaper but you could put underwear UNDER diaper. I know someone who did that. She will feel wet and not like it and hopefully will learn to go, but it might backfire. EAch kid is different. For my girls, they went to pullups when they sat on the potty a lot and switched to underwear when they were pooping on potty and peeing sometimes. One week or less of peeing themselves and feeling the wetness and they learned to use potty. Took 2 days for the one.

13. Deanna T.
    March 8, 2012 at 10:43 pm (5 years ago)

That is awesome that she took the initiative. Good luck! I had the darndedest time training girl #1. She was past three years old before she really got it. Now girl #2 is showing signs that she’s ready, and oh boy this momma is not. Sigh.

• Nicole
      March 10, 2012 at 1:23 pm (5 years ago)

Awe – I hear ya. I’m so not ready to potty train. They grow up far too fast!

14. Canadian Dad
    March 9, 2012 at 4:15 am (5 years ago)

Where to start? Our daughter is 22 months and has begun the process. Luckily (or unluckily) for us, my wife runs a day care so we have about 5 potties all about the house. We let her sit as long as she wants and then when she goes, we all erupt with cheer! Even her 3 year old brother gets into the excitement and hugs and high fives her! She loves it and it encourages her to keep going.

We put her on the potty every hour and to our amazement, she goes a lot of the time. She gets a Teddy Graham cookie or a sticker (her choice) each time she goes. And yes, she loves the Pull Up/underwear combo and we let her do it because it’s what makes her comfortable.

For us at least, the key has been consistency. She asks to go potty, sometimes too late, but the more we put her on it, the better she feels about asking for it.

In the end, every kid is different in how they react and I hope you find your groove with it. It’s a really cool, exciting time! Like you actually taught them something…

Chris

15. OrangeHeroMama
    March 9, 2012 at 4:23 am (5 years ago)

Both my girls didn’t train until around the 3rd birthday mark. then it was basically instant. phew!

• Nicole
      March 10, 2012 at 1:21 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve been hearing that 3 to 3.5 is a common age to potty train. 🙂

16. Christine
    March 9, 2012 at 2:27 pm (5 years ago)

Our little one trained over the Christmas holidays. I kept her at home with no diaper. Within a few days, she was trained. She had shown signs of readiness, so I went with it. Prior to that, we had been trying for about a year and then I just said, “Forget it. She’ll train when she’s ready”…and she did. It was a frustrating year with her taking one step forward and two steps back all the time. When I think of it, really, there was no rush for her to NEED to be potty trained when we first started. I think it was more the peer pressure from family members and friends whose kids were already potty trained and the comments just drove me into this fit of “she MUST get potty trained NOW”. Totally not what we should have done.

I backed off. We relaxed about it, and now she’s totally trained.

P.S. Kinder eggs make great potty training incentives! LOL!!! In the world of potty training (at least in our house), bribery is everything. LOL!

• Nicole
      March 10, 2012 at 1:22 pm (5 years ago)

My daughter does lover her Kinder eggs. I’ll have to try out the incentive approach.

I haven’t let Cadence see any of my anxieties this time around and you know what. It is helping. She tells me when she has to go and the potty experience is calm.

17. Annie1
    May 14, 2013 at 7:09 pm (4 years ago)

I absolutely hated toilet training because I realized that its basically me that had to be trained and disciplined, not my babies lol

One of my girls was very easy and the other had such a difficult time.

RAFFLECOPTER NAME is Anne Taylor

18. Yvonne
    August 18, 2014 at 9:07 am (3 years ago)

This post is really a good one it helps new the web people, who are wishing in favor of blogging.