There are lots of easy ways to get exercise at home. Read on for our favourite work out tips, no equipment required!

We asked Tracy Moore’s fitness trainer, Stephanie Joanne, how moms can get fit at home. Here’s what she said:

Grab big water bottles, cans or jugs. The movement in the containers will actually make lifting harder and require you to use more muscles to keep them stable. Perform any traditional movements, such as arm curls, overhead presses and tricep kickbacks.

Use commercial breaks as fitness breaks. Hold a plank as long as you can. Set a goal of making it through each commercial; eventually you’ll get be able to hold it until your show is back on!

Run up and down the stairs and do an exercise after each run. For example, run up the stairs, do five push-ups, down the stairs, do five squats, up the stairs, five biceps curls with cans and so on.

Try leg raises to work on your core. Lie flat on your back on the floor and lift your legs straight into the air. Then slowly lower them to the ground, keeping your upper body and back flat the entire time. Do this for five minutes. (If you’re experiencing back pain, don’t lower your legs all the way to the floor.)

Throw in some squats while waiting for your meal to cook do squats or jumping jacks and tone while preparing dinner!

Remember: Even if you can’t do a workout every day, or if going to the gym is not possible, the idea is just to move. The little things do add up, and you’ll soon feel better about yourself for squeezing it in.

Source:

Originally published in Today’s Parent March 2012

13 Comments on Fit & Firm Friday: 5 Ways to Work Out at Home

1. AnnMarie Brown
    April 2, 2012 at 1:04 pm (5 years ago)

great ideas.. going to start using them.

2. NPC
    April 2, 2012 at 2:21 pm (5 years ago)

Awesome! There’s always a way to get moving! I love my Wii to get active! I slacked this week on my post! My excuse: I was revamping the site!

April 2, 2012 at 4:06 pm (5 years ago)

Perfect! Perfect! Perfect! I have stressed how important moving is for awhile. Every little bit helps and these are awesome ways of getting some great exercise in!

4. Deanna T.
    April 2, 2012 at 4:12 pm (5 years ago)

I love the tip to do squats while prepping dinner! Great ideas!

5. Mama Ash
    April 2, 2012 at 4:14 pm (5 years ago)

Awesome tips! With DS being home sick I have to find alternative ways to stay fit!

6. Kathleen (aka Callista)
    April 2, 2012 at 5:36 pm (5 years ago)

What I need is tips for those who are REALLY out of shape. If I ran up the stairs ONCE I’d be done. I wouldn’t be able to do it anymore. Ideas?

7. Canadian Dad
    April 2, 2012 at 6:39 pm (5 years ago)

I do the stairs one on a nightly basis. But it’s only because neither one of my kids sleep properly and I have to keep going into their rooms to keep them quiet!!

8. Wendy S
    April 3, 2012 at 1:58 am (5 years ago)

I wonder if people would look at me funny if I tried these at the office!

They are great…and so easy!

9. jodi @ rantsnrascals
    April 3, 2012 at 4:33 am (5 years ago)

Those are some great ideas. My problem is actually forcing myself to try these and get my arse off the sofa and away from the computer. I like house cleaning to music, we have 2 floors, 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, lots of carpet to vacuum and house to clean. Always sweat after that. 🙂

10. Positively Pampered Patty
    April 6, 2012 at 11:10 pm (5 years ago)

Fantastic tips! I actually have a mini trampoline and get on it during commercials lol.