It feels weird to be writing out the meal plan today. I did the groceries last Thursday. Normally I would wait and shop on Saturday or Sunday. Being that we were out of town warranted the early trip.

A lot of people ask me how I map out my meal plan to be cost efficient. It’s fairly easy once I made some changes to my weekly eating habits.

• Try to plan out meals using similar (if not the same) ingredients.
  • Avoid packaged and canned goods (if possible).
  • If making a larger portioned meal… think – can I freeze the leftovers? Would the meal produce decent leftovers once the food is warmed?
These tips have seemed to work for us. More specifically the point about trying to plan out meals with similar ingredients. When I first started meal planning, I was notorious for planning meals in varying extremes of ingredients. While it was nice to switch things up. It also was reflected in my high grocery bills.
Here’s the plan for this week:
Tuesday: Dinner meeting
Wednesday: Birthday (up to the hubs to plan out my dins)
Friday: General Tao Chicken w/ Rice
Saturday: Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
Sunday: Family birthday party!
Happy eating!

7 Comments on Menu Plan Monday – 02/06

1. ~ The Country Mouse ~
    February 6, 2012 at 4:15 pm (6 years ago)

First happy birthday! Hope hubs has a nice surprise in store.

I really need to get better with menu planing. Thanks for the inspiration.

2. April Plummer
    February 6, 2012 at 4:18 pm (6 years ago)

Great post! I used to do this, back when…well…I won’t get into that story right now. LOL. I learned from my mother who made menu plans every 2 weeks and grocery store lists off those. Things are done a bit differently, now. Also, we’re too lazy to make different meals. LOL We do avoid processed and packaged foods, though. We buy most everything fresh or frozen (while fresh). And we definitely freeze and/or can leftovers, depending on what we’re making. My husband and I can’t seem to cook for two. We ALWAYS have leftovers, which I then use for lunch throughout the week. so it all works out.

February 6, 2012 at 5:29 pm (6 years ago)

I like menu planning. It makes life so much easier when you know ahead of time and can prep.

4. Sober Julie
    February 6, 2012 at 6:57 pm (6 years ago)

Happy Birthday!!
    Menu planning is my key to eating healthy

5. Christine
    February 7, 2012 at 3:32 am (6 years ago)

Happy Birthday! I agree. Menu planning is great! Healthier, more economical, less wasteful…and all that other good stuff! 🙂 It’s also great to know what you’re going to be eating for supper and not have to scrounge around for stuff or end up ordering out! We live on an Island where we don’t have the option of really eating out or having delivery! LOL!

Great post! Thanks for sharing!!

6. Positively Pampered Patty
    February 7, 2012 at 3:32 pm (6 years ago)

Wow sounds like a great week. Lol I just read your menu to my husband and he said ” oh we should totally have Quesadillas.” See you made us think of something new to make this week! Have a great one!